Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i finally got a good job, and out of debt, I need a new computer chair and a(2?) new graphic cards. My sig rig is still current, I don't want to have a whole new build just yet. What's a nice step up from 2 8800GTS 512's for a reasonable price at Bestbuy? Thanks in advance.
 

·
Long Time Lurker
Joined
·
920 Posts
Reasonable price at BestBuy? That's a bit of a contradiction.

Anyway, two 8800GTS G92's should have no problem gaming. The only reason I upgraded to a 4870 was because I thought "Why not?".

My local BB has 4850's for $150, not too bad considering the store.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandlermaki View Post
Reasonable price at BestBuy? That's a bit of a contradiction.

Anyway, two 8800GTS G92's should have no problem gaming. The only reason I upgraded to a 4870 was because I thought "Why not?".

My local BB has 4850's for $150, not too bad considering the store.
A 4850 wouldn't be that much of an upgrade from a G92 8800GTS. I'd go with 5850/70 or wait for GT300.
 

·
Long Time Lurker
Joined
·
920 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenFaux View Post
A 4850 wouldn't be that much of an upgrade from a G92 8800GTS. I'd go with 5850/70 or wait for GT300.
It would be if he got 2 of them. They scale a whole lot better in Xfire than those GTS's scale in SLI.
 

·
Expand Always in Always
Joined
·
4,596 Posts
What location will you be buying from & budget? A gtx260 or as mentioned 5770 would be a nice upgrade from the 88's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep the Suggestions running
I got a 1300 credit at bestbuy, the comp chair might cost like 70-130 based on comfortably(Programming at work and home) So my budget will be... $400
 

·
Long Time Lurker
Joined
·
920 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalBear View Post
Keep the Suggestions running
I got a 1300 credit at bestbuy, the comp chair might cost like 70-130 based on comfortably(Programming at work and home) So my budget will be... $400
Ah, ok. Then you should be able to get a decent dual GPU setup. Not sure how much 5770's go for, but they shouldn't be over $200 each. They scale super well in Xfire, too.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: DigitalBear

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
i would say get a new big, higher res screen.

i dont think getting a gpu atm is the best idea when there is no real competition, 5 series is best and nv havent replied. wait till they come out with the 300 series and either get one of them or a 5000 for a reasonable price (they might be in stock too).

a higher res screen will get you more out of your sli setup
 

·
Long Time Lurker
Joined
·
920 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalBear View Post
I will note that my motherboard is a Nvidia 780i...
Crap. So Xfire is out.

Just keep the GTS's till Fermi is released then. Maybe pick up a new monitor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol, i run a 3 screen setup. Even on SLI the 8800GTS's doesn't perform well in some of my games. I guess I can wait but I don't think I will have enough room on my desktop for a new high res monitor.
 

·
/╲/( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\
Joined
·
6,197 Posts
Could get 2 GTX260's for under $400 (not sure about best-buy's rabid pricing tho)
 

·
Long Time Lurker
Joined
·
920 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalBear View Post
Lol, i run a 3 screen setup. Even on SLI the 8800GTS's doesn't perform well in some of my games. I guess I can wait but I don't think I will have enough room on my desktop for a new high res monitor.
Hm. Well, then 2x GTX 260's perhaps? Maybe a GTX 275/285?
 

·
Expand Always in Always
Joined
·
4,596 Posts
You'll have to get a new mobo "now" to go cf anything.I would go for the single 5850/5870 or 260/275 now and when the time comes add the second later.The BB I'm looking at has the 5870 for $390 online,maybe cheaper in-store.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top