Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, well i managed to OC my 8800's some more and holy crap these card's overclock like crazy!

I just got them to 770 core and 1950 shader. Im running 265.90 quadro drivers, 260.99 benched a little higher but 265.90's outperform them gaming

Here's some 3dmark06 and some vantage goodness.

·
a turkey is a bad man
6,432 Posts
Man I wish I still had mine. Ran cool an overclocked to over 800 on the core on both of them. Epic cards an nice scores you have.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydraulic
View Post

The 8800's kicked some serous ass back in the day. For me, that card changed the way I (was able to) game.

Yeah there great cards man. I can't justify upgrading right now. I would need to add cash on top of mine for a 460 that scores about the exact same. Is it worth it for dx 11? Not really for me. If im gonna upgrade i atleast want a 470 or 480. I couldn't believe the numbers these things put out!

Definitely great cards if your on a budget. I got both of mine for $100 bucks throw a sli bridge on them and bam great cards!

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,585 Posts
Nice.
I never saw the 8800GTS as a bad card at all.
Ok, the ~300MB ones need to die in a fire for anything but PhysX, But i still see the 8800 as a decent card overall. Especially when put in SLI.
At this point the only thing wrong with them is the 512MB of memory. If they had 1Gb I would consider them a great card.

For points of reference the 460 is Excellent and the 580 is Mind Blowing.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster34
View Post

Sadly I'm about to sell a pair, but they served me well.

Yeah there definitely great cards! I think im gonna hang onto mine for a wee bit longer wait for the newer stuff to send older cards down some more in prices and as im waiting upgrade my periphrials. Is there any after market coolers out there for these things? I've got them clocked pretty high and they handle it great though

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilWrir
View Post

Nice.
I never saw the 8800GTS as a bad card at all.
Ok, the ~300MB ones need to die in a fire for anything but PhysX, But i still see the 8800 as a decent card overall. Especially when put in SLI.
At this point the only thing wrong with them is the 512MB of memory. If they had 1Gb I would consider them a great card.

For points of reference the 460 is Excellent and the 580 is Mind Blowing.

Yeah that's my only wish is that they were 768 or 1gb. But the 768mb cards were still the g80 revisions and id rather have less ram and the g92's i think. These things SLI'd run BC2 great still

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief
View Post

You do realize that is the 2006 version?

With some vantage right under neath it

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well, every single game I have run with 9800GTX+ SLI (basically rebranded 8800GTS) I can run Crysis, Metro 2033 with 30FPS+ constant with maximum settings.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltazar
View Post

Well, every single game I have run with 9800GTX+ SLI (basically rebranded 8800GTS) I can run Crysis, Metro 2033 with 30FPS+ constant with maximum settings.

I don't have crysis but yeah i can run metro 30+ easily. What do you have your 9800's OC'd too?

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
You forgot to turn PhysX off for your 3DMark runs

But I agree, those were great cards in their day. And eVGA did in fact make the 1GB Akimbo version too.

Sadly, they are identical in every way shape and form to the GTS 250 and 9800GTX. Yes there are some 9800GTX+'s which had a die shrink, and some GTS 250's that had a die shrink. But there were also some that still were on the 65nm die too. That is one thing that REALLY turned me off of Nvidia for a while.

And the I can tell you from experience, the GTX470 isn't honestly MUCH of an upgrade from your SLI'd 8800's. I just came from a single 4890 (slightly worse than your 8800's in SLI), and going to the GTX470 honestly wasn't all that mind blowing other than Folding.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud
View Post

You forgot to turn PhysX off for your 3DMark runs

But I agree, those were great cards in their day. And eVGA did in fact make the 1GB Akimbo version too.

Sadly, they are identical in every way shape and form to the GTS 250 and 9800GTX. Yes there are some 9800GTX+'s which had a die shrink, and some GTS 250's that had a die shrink. But there were also some that still were on the 65nm die too. That is one thing that REALLY turned me off of Nvidia for a while.

And the I can tell you from experience, the GTX470 isn't honestly MUCH of an upgrade from your SLI'd 8800's. I just came from a single 4890 (slightly worse than your 8800's in SLI), and going to the GTX470 honestly wasn't all that mind blowing other than Folding.

Oh i didn't know i had phsyx on
I just ran them at all default setting's and posted my scores.

Yeah that's why i don't know if i should even upgrade them for a while besides the vram part. These card's blow me away and for the price they cannot be beaten. I think im gonna stick with these babies and upgrade later to a much better upgrade like a gtx 580 and keep these for getting a dedicated bigadv rig going and using the other for phsyx

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
oh come on? 770 only?

crank the volts and push em up to 900 core 2200 shaders!

all they need is ~1.4v and some great load temps, and of course some voltmod loving!
my G92 is one of the best scaling cards i have ever vmodded.

8800GTX is up there too, but only for the shaders. 702/1944/1150 1.65v anyone?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wumpus
View Post

oh come on? 770 only?

crank the volts and push em up to 900 core 2200 shaders!

all they need is ~1.4v and some great load temps, and of course some voltmod loving!
my G92 is one of the best scaling cards i have ever vmodded.

8800GTX is up there too, but only for the shaders. 702/1944/1150 1.65v anyone?

Jeesh 1.65v?! I have no clue how to vmod my cards and i cant tweak voltage the way they are

1 - 20 of 84 Posts