Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 8800GTS 320mb and the step-up runs out mid-august. I've already convinced myself that if I do go for the step-up, it'll be the GTX and not the 640mb GTS.

The thing is from nvidia's history, everytime they have a new generation of cards it completely owns the provious version. (lol, I remember my 7600GT could beat the 6800 ultra). The basis of my system is to be able to play the next-gen DX10 games smoothly, at high graphical settings at 1680x1050 for the next two years. Think the GTX should suffice for around 2 years or would it be worth it to wait till november and stick it out with the GTS?

another one of my concerns is selling the GTS afterwards, think it'll be hard to sell once the 9-series ships? Either way, any advice would help, i just need to be conviced one way or the other. Its just sketchy not to know what to expect fromt he 9 series or what kind of power is going to be needed for games liek crysis.

·
Premium Member
11,043 Posts
Step up to the GTX. The 9 series is a long way away yet (at least a year). The only card on the horizon is the 8900GTX (due Christmas) which is just a faster version of the XFX Ultra XXX edition. Nothing worth worrying about, as anything past 612Mhz Core and 2000Mhz Memory is pointless unless you like benchmark scores and nothing else. The GTX is going to PWN everything DX10 has to offer once the drivers and vista are ironed out.

·
Premium Member
11,043 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by murcielago585 View Post
isn;t the G92 slated to be released in november? I thought I read that in this forum and on vr zone?
I find it unlikely that the G92 will come out so soon, they'd be no point to the Ultra otherwise.

·
Registered
404 Posts
nvidia said its next big chip will be the g92 and it'll be about 3times more powerfull than the g80 and they will release it in november(4th or 6th i think) so i'd sell it now and buy a 86gt and wait, or keep it, then when the new stuff comes sell it, should be plenty of people wanting your current card, but you'll be selling at a loss. 9800gts is going the kicka$$

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by murcielago585 View Post
they actually said they will release it in november? i think its onyl a rumor for now
they said it would be ready for x-mas, they are adopting the release cycle they used for g80 which was in november

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sorry but Im very dissapointed with the G80 series cards. I cant wait till they come out with a new card. Most people are playing rather old games on their G80s and they play fine but the newest game I got benchmarked very poorly on a G80.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy56
View Post

Sorry but Im very dissapointed with the G80 series cards. I cant wait till they come out with a new card. Most people are playing rather old games on their G80s and they play fine but the newest game I got benchmarked very poorly on a G80.

dissapointed with the g80? maybe your 8600 but the gtx is extremely impressive.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I seen the benchmark of the gtx on this specific game and while it did fairly well I was expecting better. From everyone I have spoken to two 8800s are required for smooth gameplay at maxed settings. I just cant justify spending that kind of money just to play a $30 game. I remember 3 years ago when Doom 3 came out it didnt require spending that much money to play Doom 3 at max settings and that was the most intensive game at the time.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by murcielago585
View Post

so then wait? i hope these new cards aren;t rediculously expensive

They always are, I'm pretty sure when the G92 is released, it will cost the same as the other cards cost when they were introduced but a few months down the road is should go down to ~500. Hopefully the introduction of G92 will decrease the prices of 8800 cards, knowing Newegg they will most likely keep the 8800 cards at the same price range until they've sold them all.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I mean NWN2. I play counterstrike source on an Nvidia FX5500 at 1024x768 and thats just plain sad.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I mean NWN2. I play counterstrike source on an Nvidia FX5500 at 1024x768 and thats just plain sad.

i can max nwn2 with my system and it runs great. Here and there it gets a tad choppy though.
by max I mean 1680x1050, max my monitor will support.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I seen the benchmark of the gtx on this specific game and while it did fairly well I was expecting better. From everyone I have spoken to two 8800s are required for smooth gameplay at maxed settings. I just cant justify spending that kind of money just to play a $30 game. I remember 3 years ago when Doom 3 came out it didnt require spending that much money to play Doom 3 at max settings and that was the most intensive game at the time.

^^^
Weren't the high-end vga's of that generation a lot less? I remember the X850XT being the top-dog with a LOW price tag of around 300-400$. Now, mid-range cards are around the same price range...DAMN Nvdia and ATI. Don't say it's because of R&D or dollar inflation, it's more like CEO's needing bigger Yachts and Mansions.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchkinpuncher
View Post

i can max nwn2 with my system and it runs great. Here and there it gets a tad choppy though.
by max I mean 1680x1050, max my monitor will support.

Dollar for dollar you should be able to play that game without chopiness. This is a fairly new game too so you may be expected to go to SLI to run future games.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by highwhey
View Post

^^^
Weren't the high-end vga's of that generation a lot less? I remember the X850XT being the top-dog with a LOW price tag of around 300-400$. Now, mid-range cards are around the same price range...DAMN Nvdia and ATI. Don't say it's because of R&D or dollar inflation, it's more like CEO's needing bigger Yachts and Mansions.

true that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by highwhey
View Post

^^^

It's not only that, I think they might have also shifted all the cards up a notch.

I think it should have been like this
7300 - 8600 (low end)
7600 - 8800gts (mid range)
7800 - 8800gtx (high end)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts