Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Software Developer
7,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rig is fully up to date, in the sig below if you has questions about the setup I am currently running.

I am currently running 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz OCz Reapers HPC v 1.7 (2nd Gen. I believe) (4x 2GB)

This is a bit strange, and you may think futile but this is what I was thinking of trying this.

The first thing I was wondering about was what the hell do I need a Pagefile for. I mean 8 GB of RAM, with an 8gb pagefile is overkill. Some argue 8GB of RAM is currently overkill in itself, but thats not applicable to me. I am easily able, of course leaving a few applications running, use 4-5GB of Ram, that leaves me with some slack. Sure its not 8gb, but its more than 4gb, which leaves me with the option of either 2x1 GB to maintain dual channel, or 2x 2gb. I choose the latter.

I have to move my pagefile regardless, I don't want it on my Vertex 30GB boot drive I am using killing the life of my SSD, but while I was putting on the mechanical disc, I began to wonder if I even needed one.

Then after a little research on how Window pages the Kernel primarily in a pagefile, it is highly recommend to have some pagefile as some applications only correctly function (i.e. limit their memory footsteps as one example) when one exists. If any of you have made a NET.4 app, you will know how memory hungry it is on a system with available memory even when calling GC. Well apparently, its even more voracious without a pagefile (or I am a horrible memory leaking amateur programmer.)

My idea was to use one entire Dimm slot, convert it to a RamDisk (with a clear all on shutdown setup.) I wouldn't exactly know how to go about doing that (isolate one entire Dimm.) Secondly, I thought of the potential of losing Dual Channel mode. Even if there is a way to isolate the Dimm slot, its partner Dimm would be forced to run in Single Channel Mode.

Then I thought why don't I create a 2GB using half of one Dimm and half of another DIMM (or a quarter for each) retaining a total of 6GB System Ram, creating a 2GB RamDisk, and retaining Dual Channel setup.

Its complicated, and perhaps the performance gain is negligible, I just wanted to hear some fact with opinion on the subject matter.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Windows needs some pagefile in order to function properly; even a small one will do, but do not remove it fully.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts