Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

got this board with X5650 and got now myself 3x8GB Tacticals 1600MHz, 1,5V, 888 24 1T. Thing is, the board won't post when set on 1600 MHz (tried also only one module - same result). On 1333, everything is top notch ok. With 4x4GB modules, it goes to 1600MHz alright and probably more with no problem (mixed bag of Corsairs and HyperXs together). Is this a fault of memory controller it cannot handle 8GB modules, or could it be exoticism of Micron chips? I know the board can take 48GB together (maybe even 96), but I wanted get 1600 MHz for OC potential of CPU. Tried to change timings to 10 10 10 30 2T and no luck. Bios 1701, 2SSDs,3HDDs. I welcome every advice, thanks.

·
New001
2,668 Posts
I thought x58 supported max 24GB DDR3
If the board has 6 slots, it probably expects you to do 2 tri-chan banks of 12GB (3x4GB) to fill the board, rather than 1 triple channel bank of 24GB with 3 empty slots.

Also the x5650 supports max 1333mhz ram (from memory - i have the x5660).
Generally when you are trying to overclock memory past what the CPU supports, you run into more troubles the larger the DIMMs are and the closer you are to maximum capacity, you are hitting both of these targets, which should make it tricky.

I think there are two issues here, one is you may need to get 2 kits of 12GB Triple Channel in order to hit 24GB (fill all 6 slots)
and the second issue is, if you want to run 1600Mhz, you will probably need to run less than 24GB, eg maybe just run 12GB, in tri-channel to relieve some of the stress on the IMC.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, the board and cpu was proved by many it is fully working with 48GBs, 24 is only "official" info. Also, I have used 4x4GB modules (2x4GB +
Kingston + 2x4GB Corsairs) and system was totally ok with 1600MHz. Now it won't post even with one 8GB Crucial modul on 1600. So the problem is a size or exoticism of Crucials, but it might be solutionable with some bios setting (voltages, another frequencies of other stuff and so) I just do not know of and therefore trying to ask here pros first.

From my job, I have on a way another 8GB module, but Kingston Savage this time, but it will take some day to arrive. Then I think I will be able to confirm if it is modul compatibility fault or just limits of a board/chipset. BNoard should be able to hold ok even 2000MHz though. I let you know then. Maybe it is gonna help other guys as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi again, so it seems there is a limitation by board for modules this big. Running now low OC of 3.0GHz and ram with 1375MHz. Doing ok. 1600MHz for 8GB modules seems too high. Thanks for interet guys.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The Xeons don't support a multi to do 1600MHz. You can overclock your system to reach those speeds but it will absolutely not allow it from a simple memory multi change. I have an X5690 running stock with those same exact sticks and it won't allow the multi for 800MHz. I didn't realize this until recently. Glad I picked up a W3690 a while ago for my gaming rig

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakizashis View Post

How to get to 1600 then? Just by oc cpu so the ram raises up from its "manually" set up 1333?
Yes, that's the only way as far as I know.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In that case, it is no problem. My point was, those will not work at 1600 (as set up initially in bios), so i won't achieve high OC. If they will be raised to 1600 by CPU oc to 1600,then everything is perfect. Have to test that. Thanks for this info, Will let you know.
thumb.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts