Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get a score of 4600-ish in vantage on my MSI 9800 GTX+, while my cpu scores 36000. I hit around 9000 in 'performance' settings, 4000 in 'high' settings. Is my card really that weak or is my CPU just too much? Im probably guessing another 9 series card in sli will help, but damn I dont think my single gpu is under-performing at all, but alot of people with crappier cards score over 10k.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My main concern now is wether to run more of my same card or just go up to the gtx's. Theres a few of the regular 9800's and 9800 GT's for really cheap, but it seems the gtx series is getting way more affordable now. looks like the wife might be getting another hand me down this week Oo.

Damn these benchmarking scores, its an evil plot i tell you.

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
what about SLI? Thats if your power supply/motherboard can handle it. you will get much better performance. also check your pci-e slot is x16 and is set to x16. cpu-z will tell you that.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I got 8396 as my GPU Score on 3dMark Vantage.
I have a XFX 9800 GT.

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
your right and wrong in some cases. benchmarks have always told me if am unstable, they save me sometimes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I just ordered the GTX 260 v2 216 from newegg for 189.00 weekend special, Its the third best card MSI makes so I am hoping it performs a bit better, my 9800 gtx+ runs games great, even at 16x AA, but... crysis dies on me when i enable any AA, even 2x kills my fps down to about 20fps. The MSI site tells me the gtx 260 'supports' 16x AA at high resolution so I am hoping this card is a cheap fix for me. I almost got the 9800 GX2 because of the dual gpu, but ppl told me the GTS series is better than the dual gpu cards.

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
GTX, nice one.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I got 5244 For my GPU in Vantage on Performance. My Cpu got 28982.
My Card is running @ Stock though.

On Entry I would get a Score of like 28,xxx.

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
futuremark mite as well call it cpu mark vantage lol.

·
Premium Member
16,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief View Post
I never benchmark, its pointless, if your system runs fine in games, who cares what some numbers mean...
qft.

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
benchmarks have good and bad points.

·
Power Squid
9,613 Posts
Make sure you have PhysX disabled when benching under 3DMark Vantage. Having it enabled borks up the CPU tests resulting in a disproportionate CPU score compared to GPU score. This in turn gives a higher overall 3DMark score than what your system is actually capable of.

In short, make sure you have PhysX disabled in order to gain a legit score to compare to other users.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief View Post
I never benchmark, its pointless, if your system runs fine in games, who cares what some numbers mean...
wise words man, but some people like to show off their e-penis' lol.

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
lol.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief
View Post

agree, someone with the same thought as me

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
my two 9800GTX's give me 19k+ on 3dmark06 and P15542 Vantage. Whoever said they are weak is just alittle off. They arn't by any means close to the GTX series unless in SLI.
My 06 Score

1 - 20 of 20 Posts