Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local computer store matches prices for online Canadian retailers and if I go to shopbot the cheapest 920 and 930 are around ~$300 like $297 but pretty much $300. So now my choice is should I pick up a 920 or a 930 tomorrow?

I wrote down 8 different 930 batch numbers I've found from users on this site and 5 out of the 8 seem to be decent or pretty good for overclocking voltage vise and the other 3 aren't that great. So if I get one of those good batch numbers I'll pick up a 930 but if it's one of the bad ones should I still pick one up or should I maybe pick up a 920? Is there even really much difference besides a max 23x multi and 2.8GHz stock compared to the 920 or is there something else I'm completely missing?

Any help is appreicated.
Thanks

·
PC Evangelist
46,942 Posts
930 no question.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
From what i've seen, the 920 and 930 are exactly the same (aside from the multipliers). And to top it off, all Bloomfields overclock better with odd multipliers... so you'll most likely end up using the x21 on the 930 anyways.

If you can get a good batch of either, you wont be disappointed
But i'd say the 930 if the price is the same (930 is sexy and new and exciting)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I ask why? Like I know it's newer and the 920 is being discontinued by why would I go with a 930 over 920 if the voltage is going to be a lot higher. I'll be overclocking to 4GHz and hopefully keeping hyper threading on with my push/pull with the Corsair H50. Sorry for the questions I just want to pick the right one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLinky
View Post

From what i've seen, the 920 and 930 are exactly the same (aside from the multipliers). And to top it off, all Bloomfields overclock better with odd multipliers... so you'll most likely end up using the x21 on the 930 anyways.

If you can get a good batch of either, you wont be disappointed

What about the 23x multiplier would that be better then a 21x?

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersthecool
View Post

Can I ask why? Like I know it's newer and the 920 is being discontinued by why would I go with a 930 over 920 if the voltage is going to be a lot higher. I'll be overclocking to 4GHz and hopefully keeping hyper threading on with my push/pull with the Corsair H50. Sorry for the questions I just want to pick the right one.

What about the 23x multiplier would that be better then a 21x?

the 23x for the 930 and 22x for the 920 are for one core only. When under stress (all four cores), you'll be forced to use the 22x for the 930 or 21x for the 920.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

View Post

the 23x for the 930 and 22x for the 920 are for one core only. When under stress (all four cores), you'll be forced to use the 22x for the 930 or 21x for the 920.

Oh wow I didn't know that. I thought you could just keep a constant turbo mode on so it always uses the 23x multiplier or whatever like that. Guess I'll be using 21x but that's 100% fine with me. So you would say get a "bad batch" 930 before any 920?

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Quote:

this doesnt make sense to me because on the 920, the default multi was 20x and with turbo it was 21x, so on the 930, if the default is 22x, why isnt the turbo at 23x?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by wumpus
View Post

this doesnt make sense to me because on the 920, the default multi was 20x and with turbo it was 21x, so on the 930, if the default is 22x, why isnt the turbo at 23x?

Yeah I always thought that the stock 920 had a 20x and turbo pushed it to 21x and I think I remember seeing that the 930 has like a double turbo which has a 21x stock and it pushes it up to 23x from 2.8GHz to 3.2GHz. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
i7 920: 20x normal, 21x turbo (all 4 cores), and 22x turbo for one core.
i7 930: 21x normal, 22x turbo (all 4 cores), and 23x turbo for one core.

But like i said before, everything else seems to be the same between the two, so a bad 930 will suck just as much as a bad 920 for overclocking. There are no new instructions, no new architectural improvements, no new manufacturing process. Intel simply bumped the highest normal and all turbo modes by 1x muliplier. My guess is it is simply a new spin on an old product (for marketing and sales purposes).

HOWEVER, i'd guess you'd have a better chance of getting a decent/great overclocking 930 versus a 920... simply because you could get an older 920 thats been sitting in the warehouse for a year, while the 930 is guarenteed to be new. The difference? Intel has probably fine-tuned the manucaturing process since the old 920 D0s, meaning your average 930 is ever-so-slightly better for overclocking than your average older 920.

Sorry for the novel

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

View Post

Hmm interesting I didn't even know there was a 22x multi on the 920 and I didn't know the 22x on the 920 and 23x on the 930 are only turbo for "one core"
Thanks for that info

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Quote:

View Post

^^^ what he said
and i would go for 930 fresher and has a 22x multi.
idk how well it ocs on the 22x considering i7's are known to like odd #'s

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Heh, check my last post again, i edited it with some more info that didn't get quoted

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLinky View Post

But like i said before, everything else seems to be the same between the two, so a bad 930 will suck just as much as a bad 920 for overclocking. There are no new instructions, no new architectural improvements, no new manufacturing process. Intel simply bumped the highest normal and all turbo modes by 1x muliplier. My guess is it is simply a new spin on an old product (for marketing and sales purposes).

HOWEVER, i'd guess you'd have a better chance of getting a decent/great overclocking 930 versus a 920... simply because you could get an older 920 thats been sitting in the warehouse for a year, while the 930 is guarenteed to be new. The difference? Intel has probably fine-tuned the manucaturing process since the old 920 D0s, meaning your average 930 is ever-so-slightly better for overclocking than your average older 920.

Sorry for the novel

Really appreciate the answer you put into that, it was exactly something I've been looking for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebunny View Post
^^^ what he said
and i would go for 930 fresher and has a 22x multi.
idk how well it ocs on the 22x considering i7's are known to like odd #'s
Yeah I'll be using it on a 21x multi because I guess the odd multis like to take lots of voltage and I definitely don't want that

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey Zeus View Post
930 bro
I will trust the king with his 980x. I hope it comes soon man that's really disappointing! Your next step is to pick up the EVGA Classified SR-2 and slap 2 different 6 core xeons in there and you're good to go lol

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersthecool
View Post

Really appreciate the answer you put into that, it was exactly something I've been looking for.

Yeah I'll be using it on a 21x multi because I guess the odd multis like to take lots of voltage and I definitely don't want that

I will trust the king with his 980x. I hope it comes soon man that's really disappointing! Your next step is to pick up the EVGA Classified SR-2 and slap 2 different 6 core xeons in there and you're good to go lol

Thanks bro. Unfortunately the 980X won't work in a DP board

1 - 16 of 16 Posts