• Xeon W3520

Votes: 7 33.3%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall!

I am considering upgrading my CPU and would like to know what is the best option right now?

I own a 1366 mobo so it's pretty much reduced to i7 930 / i7 950. Obviously, i lean toward the 950 since these are just 20 euros apart right now. However, I wanted to have the all knowings advices before ordering =).
For instance, will thses overclock on a same level? Are there batch / rev issues to be aware of?

Thank you so much.

EDIT: added xe0n

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Well, if you are planning on putting this in your sig rig, there is no point if you already have an i7 920. You will not see any performance increases.

Otherwise, if this is for something else, go with the 950

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well yeah after checkin CPUworld there is nothing like a C0 version of both of them so 950 it will be =)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What clocks are you getting out of the 920 at the moment? I'd expect you to be able to get around 4Ghz, and there will be no difference between a 920 @ 4Ghz and a 950 @ 4Ghz. Infact, the 920 may even be a little faster because of the higher bclk.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by weidass View Post
What clocks are you getting out of the 920 at the moment? I'd expect you to be able to get around 4Ghz, and there will be no difference between a 920 @ 4Ghz and a 950 @ 4Ghz. Infact, the 920 may even be a little faster because of the higher bclk.
this

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well thanks for the input all, I was just considering the upgrade actually : my cpu is a C0 and it runs quite hot, and the absolute limit I've found to it is 3.92ghz. I'm taking your advices into account =)

Quote:

He has a C0

See, someone noticed

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
get the 950 just because it is sexier, or get the 920 because it is a better performance/cost

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by guinaom1 View Post
get the 950 just because it is sexier
Can't really argue with that^^

·
OG AMD
8,885 Posts
Yeah with the price, no reason to go with the 930.

·
Registered
170 Posts
950 if you can get it for around the same price. Same chip, extra multi...Why not

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup well obviously it will be a 950 if I ever upgrade.
Are there good / bad batches i should be aware of?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If you are willing to blow the cost of a 950, why not just get watercooling? A good wc setup will last much longer than a 950. Think of it as an investment.

·
Registered
170 Posts
+1
Actually theres lots of truth in this post, you already have a 920 albeit a C0 and maybe watercooling would be able to crank out that extra speed the D0 could yield with lower temps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really can't be bothered by ordering the proper loop parts and putting it together right now..

Plus, I know me, if I start that I won't stop until every single chip in my comp is water cooled, wich will probably result in buying a new case in addition, hence definitely emptying my wallet and pushing me closer to insanity than acceptable.

Edit: the second reason is the valid one, obviously.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts