Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have an AMD 939 dual core 3800 and I put a full load on it with a prime95 blend test and it's temps are up in the low 60's*c is this typical for this processor?

It's in a micro atx motherboard and case. It has the stock heatsink and fan on it (AND THAT'S ALL CLEAN AS IS THE REST OF THE MOBO AND CASE BEING IT'S A NEW BUILD OF OLDER HARWARE) and it's NOT OC'd.

CPU-Z 1.52 is reading the volts at 1.35v. Core 1 (Of 0 and 1) is staying pretty consistent with it's temps around 62-64*C But It seems like Core 0 is only in the range of 52*C to 54*C. Is this nomral to anyone that has ran an AMD dual core before?

Or is because of an unlevel surface in the Processors integrated heatsink?

Which leads me to my next question. Would lapping the CPU heatsink most likely yield a more close range between the two cores? Heatsink is already Lapped on the stock copper HS.

Thanks in advance to anyone with knowledge!

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
I had a 939 Opteron 165 system at one point and from what I recall (and from the old stress test screen caps I have on my photobucket), I would say that those temps are pretty high for stock... 52-54C loads seem reasonable given your cooling situation, but mid 60s on the other core points to an uneven mount or bad thermal paste spread. If you have the stuff available to lap the heatsink, go for it... but I would think that a careful reseat should fix the issue.

Good luck and LMK how it works out

·
Straight Outta Commadore
2,728 Posts
My old 3800+ is now running in one of my uncles computers. It runs folding 24/7 and it maxxes temps around 59 on core #0 and 64 on core #1. The second core always reads higher for whatever reason. My 4800+ I just replaced done the same thing. It would hit almost 70c sometimes. Both on stock coolers.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I got an AMD 64x2 3800+. I overclocked it to 2.5ghz and voltage at 1.392V.
Idle my cpu temp reads 33*C and on a full load it reads 60*C (Intel Burn Test). My cpu fan is a Rosewill and it stays at 2600rpm. However when I watch an HD movie or play a game my cpu temps go up to 47*C.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have a naked (no IHS) x2 3800+ clocked at 2.6GHz with the stock cooler sitting next to me, it's idiling at 26°C. I'll start up prime and see what loads are. I remember them at about 40°C or so.

edit: loads at 41/42°C

·
Registered
870 Posts
Pull it off, only takes 20 seconds, a steady hand and a razor blade.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts