Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
If you have dual channel then it will always be dual channel when you have 2 sticks of RAM. Dual channel increases the bandwidth, but not so much that it's worth the money. IMO anyways. Same with the 939, no biggie for the money.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
^^^^ there you go, right on the money. 754 is the way to go for now.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by overclocking-the-world

so...why not just buy some PC4000 and a AMD 64 socket 754.. save lots o money heh? I mean 512MB of PC4000 cost like $87 on newegg

That's what I did... I cant say how happy I am yet because I havent actually tested out the system... I just need to order the CPU and i'll be done with the 754 system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would go with 939 but wait a few weeks until Nforce 4 hits the shelves; then you will be able to get an AMD FX-55 and a PCIe GFX card that will rock.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by keat320

I would go with 939 but wait a few weeks until Nforce 4 hits the shelves; then you will be able to get an AMD FX-55 and a PCIe GFX card that will rock.

It will rock... And also make your wallet loose weight. ALOT of weight.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
It can be easily broken down

Socket 939: For people with fat wallets and is only slightly faster than Socket 754

Socket 754: For those of us that can't afford to drop $1000+ on a computer upgrade and is still blistering faser, especially when you get a ClawHammer

Socket 939 is a marketing ploy to help AMD make some more money. If you look at benchmarks, the Dual Channel memory of Socket 939 is usually less than a 10% benefit in gaming and most other applications. It's the same with FX chips, a marketing ploy for people with a lot of money, but if you take a Socket 754 ClawHammer and overclock it to 2.5GHz, it'll be just as fast and sometimes faster than a 2.4GHz FX-53. PCIe and nForce4 is also another ploy to get people to spend money, we don't need PCIe Graphics cards yet, and frankly, I'm not yet willing to have to go out and spend at least $1000 for my new computer because they're gonna make me buy a new motherboard, CPU, and graphics card. Now, if you can afford a Socket 939 chip, but all means get one, but if you want to save money and get near the same performance (again, less than 10% difference) grab yourself a 754. Some will argue that Socket 754 is being phased out, and that is true, but only for the desktop Athlon 64 market. Semprons, and the proposed new line of XPs will be Socket 754s, as will the Mobile Athlon 64s. I'll buy Socket 939 when AMD will sell me a chip with 1MB of L2 for less than $350.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
It increases the total memory bandwidth, usually around a 40-60% increase, but since the processor is already making such efficient use of the memory bandwidth it has from the single channel memory controler, it doesn't benefit a whole lot from the increase. Socket 939/940 and Dual Channel memory was introduced in preporation for Dual-Core chips since they will have 2 cores that share the memory controler, so the extra bandwidth will be put to good use.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by overclocking-the-world

I bet these "dual core" chips will empty your wallet even more than the SIngle core chips

You bet. But then again, they might make the prices of the singles go down to something somewhat reasonable at least.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Dual channel is worth getting in my mind. The potential doubling of your memory bandwidth is really nice especial in encoding apps.

Also let me remiand everyone that the only reason that nforce2 was so good was the fact is had dual channel. Same goes for i865 and i875 chipsets form intel.

Also keep in mind that 754 chips will become an economy part by AMD and sopport for long term is uncertian. 939 looks that it is going to be around for a while and the chips aviable for is are going to the better for upgrades.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zother

Dual channel is worth getting in my mind. The potential doubling of your memory bandwidth is really nice especial in encoding apps.

Also let me remiand everyone that the only reason that nforce2 was so good was the fact is had dual channel. Same goes for i865 and i875 chipsets form intel.

Also keep in mind that 754 chips will become an economy part by AMD and sopport for long term is uncertian. 939 looks that it is going to be around for a while and the chips aviable for is are going to the better for upgrades.

I rarely keep the same system for more than a 1 1/2 years, and I'm pretty sure they're going to keep supporting S754 for that amount of time or longer... By the time I upgrade, hopefully AMD will be able to offer a 939 with 1MB L2 for a much better price than they cost now.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ya but it still nice to be able to make some small upgrades that don't break the bank.

Also the price for a decent 754 and 939 are not that diffrent.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Ya but it still nice to be able to make some small upgrades that don't break the bank.

Also the price for a decent 754 and 939 are not that diffrent.

I'm just a sucker from the 1MB L2 of the clawhammers
, and the only way to get them on S939 is going FX which is way out of my range
... For now anyways...

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

The 4000+ has the 1mb L2 also. It's exactly the same as the FX53 but with the multiplier locked.

Yeah, but it's still more money than most people are willing to spend for a CPU.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Ya im with you on that but its one hell of a chip.

Yeah, you really cant go wrong with any of the new AMD's... Even the sempron performs quite nicely compare to the former one.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts