Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's all in the box... and this will be my first overclocking project since the K6-2 era.
I seek guidence of the more experienced, and look forward to any recommendations you may all care to impart on this build.

Here's the total breakdown:

Proc : Pent. D 945
Mobo : Asus P5W-DH Deluxe
Mem : OCZ 800mhz Plat Rev. 2 (4x1gig)
Grfx : ATI X1900XTX (ATI board)
HDD : 74gig 10k RPM Raptor
PSU : Thermaltake 630w (modular)
CPU Cooler: Big Typhoon
Case: Antec P180 (3 120mm fans, rear, top, front)

Reading on what others have accomplished, I hope to hit 4ghz with air cooling. This may not be possible... I may be missing something. I would also like to experiment with O.Cing my grfx core and memory, but... one step at a time.

So, right now, Windows XP x64 is going through it's install process.

Upon initial inspection of the BIOS, the CPU was running at 42C ... idle temp. I can't find a good definate reading on what a standard idle should be for a P-D 900 class processor should be. So, I'm hoping this is near standard. I saw another chap with his proc at 3.5 and 43C so... I'm hoping this is normal.

So, as my Windows XP install completes, I encourage feedback. Recommended burn-in apps, expericance overclocking with any of these parts (or similar).

Thanks, and I'll be posting back soon with my initial results. I entend to run a few benchmarks after all the drivers are settled in to use as a base line. I'll report those findings here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already had the D945, considered it... but it was a strech getting the wife to allow the purchases I've already made.
The mobo, memory, grfx, cooler and case are raw new... squeezing another 200-400 outta the wife wasn't gonna happen. :-/

Besides... if I fry this proc, I won't feel as bad as if I ****ed a nice conroe...
if all goes well with the OC, maybe I'll be able to snag a Core 2 with some christmas moneys.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thranx
Already had the D945, considered it... but it was a strech getting the wife to allow the purchases I've already made.
The mobo, memory, grfx, cooler and case are raw new... squeezing another 200-400 outta the wife wasn't gonna happen. :-/

Besides... if I fry this proc, I won't feel as bad as if I ****ed a nice conroe...
if all goes well with the OC, maybe I'll be able to snag a Core 2 with some christmas moneys.
How much did you get it for? I'd return it if i were you and get the E6300. You'll be much happier with it. I promised you on that

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't have bought a 945 if I'd have gotten the proc recently
I've had the 945 for a while now, well... august at least. Yea, shoulda waited... but... workin' with what I have now.

Really wasn't planning a full build, but... ended up doin' it up anyhoo. *shrug* My thoughts since I decided on the P5W-DH was to hold out with the 945 until they release the Clovertowns, or whenever the put out a quad desktop (don't know if Clovertown's going to be workstation/server only)

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Hey whats up bro? Yeah, I've just gone from an E6300 to a D805, so well see how it goes. 4Ghz on a D945? No problemo. Your set up should see a fair bit past that...

PS: Just out of curiousity, what is a P4W-DH (system specs)?

Welcome again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts