Overclock.net banner

955BE --> 2500K How big of a performance boost?

2K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Gripen90 
#1 ·
Im running my phenom ii X4 955BE at stock speeds (3.2) because of heat issues. Im thinking of grabbing a 2500k. proly Run stock or maybe OC dont know yet. How much faster would it be? Thanks
smile.gif

See less See more
#3 ·
Why are you getting heat issues with your 955? What temps are we talking about?

Your case and CPU cooler seem more than adequate. Have you reapplied your CPU cooler and thermal paste?

Honestly if you've not seen a PhII X4 running @ 3.8ghz with its NB running at 2.6ghz or higher then you are missing out on about 20-30% theoretical performance increase, and honestly what sometimes *feels like* closer to a 50% performance increase.

NB overclocks are imperative to the AM3 setup's performance. I wouldn't give up on your chip just yet, at least until you've seen what it can do first.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNet;11966900
Huge, VERY huge difference in e-peen and benchmarks
E-peen, benchmarks, Gaming, rendering, photo creation, encoding, transcoding, folding. Pretty much every aspect!

I always look at the single and multithreaded benchmarks as they are always the most telling and there are some pretty huge gains there.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by timma100;11964907
Im running my phenom ii X4 955BE at stock speeds (3.2) because of heat issues. Im thinking of grabbing a 2500k. proly Run stock or maybe OC dont know yet. How much faster would it be? Thanks
smile.gif
In every day stuff?, 0 difference.

Gaming and such?, significant performance improvements.

Games such as BFBC2, Starcraft II, GTA IV, WoW, COD: Black Ops.... Benefit from stronger CPUs.

And with more and more games being ported from consoles, having a strong CPU is a must for gaming IMO.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capwn;11964935
I don't have my new ram yet so idk personally. But I'm sure its going to be a pretty significant upgrade, ESP if you overclock it.
I had a 955 for a while at 4 ghz, and a x4 B60 ( unlocked x2 560 ) at 3.92 ghz..
Wish I had a solid answer for you..
yo what ram are u getting dude?

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by willibj;11965064
Why are you getting heat issues with your 955? What temps are we talking about?

Your case and CPU cooler seem more than adequate. Have you reapplied your CPU cooler and thermal paste?

Honestly if you've not seen a PhII X4 running @ 3.8ghz with its NB running at 2.6ghz or higher then you are missing out on about 20-30% theoretical performance increase, and honestly what sometimes *feels like* closer to a 50% performance increase.

NB overclocks are imperative to the AM3 setup's performance. I wouldn't give up on your chip just yet, at least until you've seen what it can do first.
Had to bump voltage to 1.525 to get to 4ghz (Then after a month it wasnt stable any more). At stock speeds with the stock cooler my cpu was passing the 60C mark, (in a well vented case) With the 212+ @4ghz it idles at 38- 45 and when I game or do anything serious it gets to 58C. I wanted to do a NB OC, iv was trying for about 2 months. (Getting lots of help form OCN) but my NB wont oc, at all. Not even 10mhz, instant bsod in any benchmark. Really depressing lol. Anyway, thanks for all the great reply's eveyone. Il be picking up a 2500K in about a month.

#18 ·
I had been looking at Sandy Bridge as an upgrade from my 1090T (due to performance issues), but I found it's disappointing that there won't come hexa or octo cores to the platform, so in my optics 1155 is 'obsolete' since it's not that "future proof" (i know nothing is). So instead I decided to save $300 and go for a P55 setup for 3-way SLi and a core i7 870. That should satisfy the gaming need for the upcoming year.
Then I'll probably do the "real" upgrade when socket 2011 arrives.

#19 ·
There is no such thing as "future proof" 1366 has been beaten by mainstream chips already, and anything outside of $900 won't change that fact - and even those chips lose in the single threaded performance.

I'm sorry - did you just say instead of going 1155 you went 1156 and it was $300 less? Unless you bought used the pricing should have been much closer than that.

I'll never understand the logic behind "I'll upgrade before I upgrade".

x4 is the sweet spot for gamers, anything more is waste. HT also usually has a negative impact on FPS. GL with that though.

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by timma100;11968962
Had to bump voltage to 1.525 to get to 4ghz (Then after a month it wasnt stable any more). At stock speeds with the stock cooler my cpu was passing the 60C mark, (in a well vented case) With the 212+ @4ghz it idles at 38- 45 and when I game or do anything serious it gets to 58C. I wanted to do a NB OC, iv was trying for about 2 months. (Getting lots of help form OCN) but my NB wont oc, at all. Not even 10mhz, instant bsod in any benchmark. Really depressing lol. Anyway, thanks for all the great reply's eveyone. Il be picking up a 2500K in about a month.
I'm pretty sure the 212+ should be doing much better than the stock cooler, not 2C different... I would assume it's around at LEAST 5-7C cooler than a junk stock cooler.

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared;11969628
There is no such thing as "future proof" 1366 has been beaten by mainstream chips already, and anything outside of $900 won't change that fact - and even those chips lose in the single threaded performance.

I'm sorry - did you just say instead of going 1155 you went 1156 and it was $300 less? Unless you bought used the pricing should have been much closer than that.

I'll never understand the logic behind "I'll upgrade before I upgrade".

x4 is the sweet spot for gamers, anything more is waste. HT also usually has a negative impact on FPS. GL with that though.
I live in Denmark so the pricing is very different. A 1155 setup with a motherboard that supports 3-way SLi e.g Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 is $415 and the Sandy Ci7 2600K is another $400. So that's $815 in total and I'd still be needing memory, win7 and a decent CPU cooler and then you could add another $300, so at the end of the day it would all be $1100.
For $800 i got:
ASUS P7P55 WS Supercomputer (3-way-SLi)
Intel Core i7 870
Corsair XMS3 2x4096MB DDR3 1333MHz CL9.
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

If I only had 2x GTX 580 then the pricing between P55 and P67 would be more acceptable since SLI motherboards are pretty cheap. But I'm not ditching my 3rd GTX 580 to afford running P67 in "only" SLi.

When I'm thinking "future proof" I think of hexa/octo-cores for some of the later applications coming in 2011/early 2012 - but since 1155 won't get these CPU I couldn't see the logic in spending a whole lot on a setup I know won't last long within my 4 walls. It may be the fastest around, but when you start turning up the resolution and add a lot of FSAA the differences become negligible.
As said I have problems with my AMD setup since it's running unstable so I need an alternative setup. Getting board for 3-way-SLi isn't easy and mostly hellish expensive.

I'd rather get the socket 2011 system some time early 2012 than Sandy Fridge now.
cool.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.