Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A coworker is having performance issue with a 9600 w/128RAM (he doesn't know specific model) in a 2yr old Dell. Games had been running fine but now they are starting to bog down. He's running XP (no SP2). I apologize for the sketchy info... Any ideas beside dust/heat issues?

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
9600 is a horrible card, but yes I would clean it out completely. Check the BIOS on the AGP and make sure it didn't find a way to AGP 4x from 8x. hmmm.... well yeah. Sounds like that would be 2 good error checks.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindusar

A coworker is having performance issue with a 9600 w/128RAM (he doesn't know specific model) in a 2yr old Dell. Games had been running fine but now they are starting to bog down. He's running XP (no SP2). I apologize for the sketchy info... Any ideas beside dust/heat issues?

This happened to me a while ago with a 9700. It turned out that the fan on the car had seized up and the card was overheating big time, causing everything to slow down and fall over.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Ok, it could easily be software. Has he installed any software recently (anything). If he has. Then i would suggest uninstalling the software. Like Xfire use to make my internet screw up and [email protected] caused my computer to Jam and act wierd. So yeah, software could be it.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

This happened to me a while ago with a 9700. It turned out that the fan on the car had seized up and the card was overheating big time, causing everything to slow down and fall over.

Similar thing happened on my 9700, except one of the pins that held the heatsink on fell off so the heatsink was barely making contact. It got so bad to the point that it would do the VPU recover errors.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Similar thing happened on my 9700, except one of the pins that held the heatsink on fell off so the heatsink was barely making contact. It got so bad to the point that it would do the VPU recover errors.

Mine actually fried in the end
I managed to RMA it, but the new one i got did the same thing after about 3 months....damn Gigabyte.

·
Registered
29 Posts
this happend to a freind of mine aswell, what i would first do is clean it out, check and make sure its never heated, and also make sure all bios and drivers are updated, also try checking if somthings wrong with the AGP slot which some times is a problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts