Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a 9600gt for my dell inspiron 531 which only has a 300psu. I have a amd 4400 dual core 2.3 2gigs ram so would the card run on my 300 psu? Also where does the 6pin pcie connector go from where to where? does it connect from video card to psu or from video card to motherboard

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok then looks like its time for a psu upgrade... ima take out current psu just bring it to Frys the store and ask employees which one will fit in my dell case lol.

Ok now im getting mixed answers o 0

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud
View Post

I would seriously recommend something better. That's the same PSU that just smoked on me (literally). Pretty much anything Antec, Corsair, PCP&C, etc. should do just fine. I believe the Antec Earthwatts 430w is around $50 or so and is a great PSU for the money.

lol you serious it smoked on you? Well im only buying from frys so anyone have any recommendations? remember its a dell inspiron 531 so i can't fit some huge ass psu i believe.

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by crashnburn_819
View Post

Has to be from Fry's? The pretty Corsairs are way overpriced there. The Thermaltake 430w maybe? I have it and its worked fine for me but I've been planning on upgrading it.
Make sure it can fit a standard ATX12v psu.

yes has to from frys

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud
View Post

I'm very serious.

If you're stuck on shopping at Fry's, they have a pretty decently priced Antec Earthwatts 380w. That PSU has 27a on the 12v rail as can be seen here (12v1 + 12v2 = 324w max load, divided by 12v, equals 27a.)

so are you saying a 380 psu can run a 9600gt or 9800gt?

http://www.pacificgeek.com/productim...N-531-1C-3.jpg thats inside of my case so that psu is about biggest that can fit

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
well i dont need suck a kick ass video card when i only have a 2.3 amd dual core lol it would sorta be an overkill. Many why did my 8600gt have to die on me..... i wouldn't have to upgrade if my card didn't die and im stuck with an onboard 6150E for now... which even lags in counter strike source

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx
View Post

IT WOULD WORK IF IT IS THE ORIGINAL DELL PSU!!!

Dell and other such companies underrate the PSUs they install in systems (looks better on them, cause it would appear the computer would be running with less power).

The PSU might have another 100W in it, depending on your luck, otherwise maybe 50W or even none). Try it and see what happens...

according to the picture of railings and v i posted i don't

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitd_kim View Post
y do u keep ignoring pioneerisloud's suggestions?

with the 4670, u dont even have to get a new psu and it will be the same performance...
don't like ati and i think i still would need a new psu

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.