Overclock.net banner

9600gt/6pin connector/300psu

1791 Views 38 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Lilxkid24
I want to get a 9600gt for my dell inspiron 531 which only has a 300psu. I have a amd 4400 dual core 2.3 2gigs ram so would the card run on my 300 psu? Also where does the 6pin pcie connector go from where to where? does it connect from video card to psu or from video card to motherboard
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
7,052 Posts
IT WILL WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My friend has been running a 8800gt OC on one since launch day (almost 1.5 years now)
with a x2 5000+ 2 hdds 2 pci cards to dvd burners, just fine. and the 8800gt uses more electricity (and its a OC model too)
so i guarantee it will work. It was a 305w e521

· Premium Member
7,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud
View Post

That's funny because my sig rig just killed an Apevia PSU that was MUCH more powerful than the 300w Dell that the OP linked. I had 23a on the 12v rail on my Apevia.....and it just died from being overloaded.

same happened to me (430w apevia psu with 8800gt, killed the psu, its the psu that came with my x-gear case)
But it will work with the Dell.

well idk if the psu was killed, it wouldnt boot up, if i took the gpu out and put the psu in it might still boot up (worked with my 8600gts just fine)
(u also have a oc'ed cpu...his cpu is stock)

· Premium Member
7,052 Posts
any antec psu should be fine...and you may as well get a GTS240 instead of a 9800gt, exact same thing, but cooler name and should cost the same or less
and guaranteed to be 55nm vs some 9800GTs are 55nm some are 65nm

· Premium Member
7,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlankThis
View Post

Just get a 4670. Same performance as the 9600GT. Also if your PSU isn't the standard ATX (Weird Dell format), PC Power & Cooling are one of the best PSU companies and they make replacements specifically designed for Dells.

~B~

you could do that if you did your stock psu would handle a 4670. Performance is a little worse, but really close.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.