Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm starting to get into overclocking my gpu which is a BFG GeForce 9600 GT OC 512MB with clocks of 675 and 900 as stock, i was wondering if anyone knew what is the max temp my card should go to and what is stock temp on air?

Also im just getting my first water cooling and have seen this gpu cooler for it

http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/cust...productid=5656

please could anyone tell me is this a good price? Is everthing i need here for the card ie fittings etc? and also what temps as stock and overclocking could i expect to get here?

I tried overclocking the card last night but it failed during vantage saying driver failiure someone has mentioned to me that this is due to high temps for the card. does anyone know if that is correct or have i just pushed the card too far?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I wouldnt water cool a budget card like that, its just not needed. A Waste of money actually. You will get a little lower temps, but it doesnt matter. The card will become unstable before the temps become a problem. Even if you got water cooling and got a few more mhz out of it, it would give you 0 performance increase.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
At stock speeds the 9600 GT can survive quite high temps. Problem with all GPUs including the 9600 GT (and incidentally CPUs) is that once clocks are pushed, the GPUs don't like high temps as much. At the shipped clocks you are probably good for 80ºC. I'd say with reasonable overclocks into the mid-700MHz range, probably would be a good idea if you keep it below 70ºC. With overclocking YMMV so your card may be better or worse.

As for water cooling, I'm with rduffy123 because I don't think it worth the extra cost to watercool cheap cards. If you want to spend that much money, you may as well sell your 9600 GT and combine the proceeds with the cost of watercooling it, and maybe get a 9800 GTX+ or something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts