Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just build a new desktop witha 960t. The mother board is GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3.

If I enable core unlock in the BIOS, boh of the two locked cores can be unlock. I used both Prime95 stress test and AMD's overdrive's stablity test and the system was stable for one hour test in both case at 3.2GHz( multplyer OCed from 15 to 16.

However, I've encountered three Blue Screen of Death in one day. Once happend when playing a 720p video, the other two happened when I was playing Skyrim.

Does this mean there's something wrong with the unlocked core? Why can't I detect it using Prime 95? I kept the AMD overdriving running when playing skyrim and kept an eye on CPU usage. In fact, the CPU load during skyrim was far less than runing Prime 95 and CPU temperature from mother board was also lower than Prime 95.

I am a little confused here.

·
Peace!!!
3,289 Posts
Firstly Welcome to OCN
thumb.gif
and njoy u stay here
now coming to your cpu try increasing your voltage by 0.25v or 0.50v and test it. for how much time did u run Prim95 ??? a 24 hrs run should be done to find out if its perfectly stable. sometimes the prime95 finds a fault in the 13 or 14th hour too. what is your North Bridge running at ??
take a tip here try overclocking one component at time first the cpu then the Northbridge, then the RAM and lastly tweak the timings.and i have heard that when ur cpu unlocks the temperate reading are not proper the sensor in the cpu does not funtion proper or something so better keep a eye socket temps its always like 5C to 10C higher
Now here are some rules u need to get into ur mind while overclocking
1) Get decent Aftermarket cooler like a 212evo or 212+
2) never go over 1.55v for CPU vcore in the BIOS
3) Keep the HT link around or at 2000 because it performs the best at 2000Mhz
4) try overclocking ur NB over or around 2400 to 2800Mhz you get quite a boost in performance(do this after getting a stable frequency of ur CPU)
5) try not to go over 1.35 or 1.4v on ur NB

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
welcome to OCN
thumb.gif

fill in your system specs in your profile so we know what your working with

because you have 2 more cores you'll need a voltage bump...like above poster said...try a .25 to .50 boost in cpu voltage

blue screen is usually ram or nb instability but could be cpu also....so try voltage bump if you still have the problem time to look elsewhere

and yes...in the end could be bad core or cores....

·
Banned
7,797 Posts
What error code are you getting when windows restarts? This might help you out.
0x101 = increase vcore
0x124 = increase/decrease vcore or QPI/VTT...have to test to see which one it is
0x0A = unstable RAM/IMC, increase QPI first, if that doesn't work increase vcore
0x1E = increase vcore
0x3B = increase vcore
0xD1 = QPI/VTT, increase/decrease as necessary
0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances
0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency or uncore multi unstable, increase RAM voltage or adjust QPI/VTT, or lower uncore if you're higher than 2x
0x116 = Low IOH (NB) voltage, GPU issue (most common when running multi-GPU/overclocking GPU)
0x1a = Memory Management

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtszy View Post

Hi,
I just build a new desktop witha 960t. The mother board is GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3.
If I enable core unlock in the BIOS, boh of the two locked cores can be unlock. I used both Prime95 stress test and AMD's overdrive's stablity test and the system was stable for one hour test in both case at 3.2GHz( multplyer OCed from 15 to 16.
However, I've encountered three Blue Screen of Death in one day. Once happend when playing a 720p video, the other two happened when I was playing Skyrim.
Does this mean there's something wrong with the unlocked core? Why can't I detect it using Prime 95? I kept the AMD overdriving running when playing skyrim and kept an eye on CPU usage. In fact, the CPU load during skyrim was far less than runing Prime 95 and CPU temperature from mother board was also lower than Prime 95.
I am a little confused here.
I'd start at stock settings first before you start overclocking. You don't even know if it's stable at stock yet. Let prime95, or better yet, an OCCT PSU test run over night, and see if it passes. If it does, then you can say it's pretty stable. Then, start bumping the multiplier up. Rinse and repeat. You can let the test run for a few hours, or do some gaming to gain what I call "relative" stability.

I always go on the assumption that if I can get it to run games, etc at the next setting, then those should be good for the one before it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts