Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again

these days there's a lot of cards that go to 192KHz sound sampling ,

My question ... can people really hear the difference between 96 and 192 Khz.

I am quite keep on my hearing ... but wanted to ask ..

Currently using a Soundblaster X-Fi XTREME AUDIO

merci

Ralph

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
OMG yes, When I'm listening to a 96 vs 192 Khz its like night and day. Even with 192 vs 320kbps.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by juryben View Post
People can't hear 22hz or high
wut
Sampling rate, aliasing of sine waves.

I personally dont notice a difference, but I am a loser.

·
Iconoclast
30,613 Posts
I can't tell the difference between 96KHz and 192KHz on my Xonar + modded Klipsch 2.1s, but I don't have any native 192KHz content either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by juryben View Post
People can't hear 22hz or high
wut
You mean ~22KHz.

Regardless, this question is about sampling rate, not sound frequency/pitch.

·
Registered
468 Posts
99.99999% of human ears can't tell the difference between 96Khz and 192khz

96kbps vs 192kbps is a whole different story. In fact, I'd recommend an audiologist to you if you can't hear the difference on this one.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by arctia View Post

96kbps vs 192kbps is a whole different story. In fact, I'd recommend an audiologist to you if you can't hear the difference on this one.
Oops, I really mixed that one up.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Actually you wrong, Music DVDs which are DVD audio are 96khz, there are a few that are 192khz as well. They are the highest you can get ahold of unless you go steal Gold Master audio disc which are 32bit/192khz or if your rich buy one from a music studio.

Also people do record in 96khz as well as 192khz and i seen a lot of .flac 96khz/192khz out there that are pure 96khz/192khz.

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by admflameberg
View Post

Actually you wrong, Music DVDs which are DVD audio are 96khz, there are a few that are 192khz as well. They are the highest you can get ahold of unless you go steal Gold Master audio disc which are 32bit/192khz or if your rich buy one from a music studio.

Also people do record in 96khz as well as 192khz and i seen a lot of .flac 96khz/192khz out there that are pure 96khz/192khz.

This. Most people's equipment are not high quality enough to show the difference, if any. There is a mathematical difference but is it a hearing difference? It depends.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by admflameberg
View Post

True but CDs are everywhere. And the music people are buying from iTunes or wherever else you buy your music are mostly using 44.1KHz also, I think I've seen some 48KHz ones out there. Dolby Digital 5.1 for DVDs use 48KHz but the quality isn't actually that great at either at 384Kbps or 448 Kbps for 6 tracks of audio.It's not impossible to get higher quality music than CDs but it's the easiest kind of high quality music to obtain because it's so common.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by honsbeek
View Post

apparently A lot of controversy on this ^^

Nah, just confusion over the diff. between bit rate and sampling rate.

·
Iconoclast
30,613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by arctia
View Post

Exactly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChronoTrigger
View Post

Nah, just confusion over the diff. between bit rate and sampling rate.

People don't read!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im getting one now just to check the difference , I got some new cool headphones that are really good

1 - 20 of 99 Posts