Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamtom View Post

Where i live they are the same price, so for raw performance which one should I pick?
at lower resolutions the 970 is faster. at higher resolutions the 290 can pull ahead. given the difference in power consumption and heat, the 970 is generally the better option if they are the same price.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBlackFire View Post

at lower resolutions the 970 is faster. at higher resolutions the 290 can pull ahead. given the difference in power consumption and heat, the 970 is generally the better option if they are the same price.
Basically what he said. If you are running a 1080P monitor or you have high energy costs then the 970 should be the way to go. The 290 will net you similar performance but at a higher energy cost. My energy costs are pretty low so it was an either or option. I bought the 290 and unlocked it for fun and got some additional performance out of the card. Again though my energy costs are pretty low so it won't really matter to me when the bill comes. I think which ever card you decide to buy though you will be happy with.

Also if you have the option to wait a few months, newer cards are just around the corner.

·
Banned
5,762 Posts
that's funny I had to make the same decision today. My 290 TriX was on RMA and I just asked if I could pay a few bucks extra for a G1 Gaming provided that the 290X comes back new in a sealed box. They agreed but they said I'd have to pay 450PLN ($130) for the transaction. No thanks,no thanks...
The choice really depends on what you wanna do with your rig. If you even want to go 4K on a CF/SLI setup and don't mind the power draw (really, who does on this forum) then stay with 290X.
But if the games you play run better on NV cards get the 970, you'll be happy with a beast card with a low power draw.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBlackFire View Post

No matter. The 290X is about 4% faster than a 290. Not enough to change anything said above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamtom View Post

ah alright, well, just got myself a 970. Thanks!
Either way I think you chose wisely. If I had to do it again I would still go with my 290 but that was because I got it for a steal and it unlocked to the 290X properly. I almost bought a 970 but when I found my 290 about 100usd cheaper and the rewards didn't outweigh the cost.

Great buy for you none the less. You will def enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
We live in a time of efficiency and nvidia have managed to basically bring out a more efficient 290x and 780 the 970, and a more efficiency 780ti the 980. It's why intel goes in incremints now lowering power and heat instead of just upping power draw and heat to give us big jumps in performance.

There is absoultely no point in getting an inefficient card that is on it's way out when the new cards come in, while nvidias more efficient card performs the same with more headroom through drivers as they are just out and this is their minimul power atm.

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugalumps View Post

We live in a time of efficiency and nvidia have managed to basically bring out a more efficient 290x and 780 the 970, and a more efficiency 780ti the 980. It's why intel goes in incremints now lowering power and heat instead of just upping power draw and heat to give us big jumps in performance.

There is absoultely no point in getting an inefficient card that is on it's way out when the new cards come in, while nvidias more efficient card performs the same with more headroom through drivers as they are just out and this is their minimul power atm.
Dude, its not magic, they are using a huge % of color compression and power gating. It's the next step and future cards will use it too. AMD showed off high level color compression first with Tonga first, before Maxwell. However, most ppl won't really be affected by the lower power consumption, and it's not liek you will see it on the electric bill at the end of each month. I saved 2 bucks omg, it's gonna pay for itself in 25 years!!

Theres a caveat to compression, it doesn't work so well at very high resolution and Maxwell comes back to earth as the 290x catches back up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts