Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, excuse my poor english, it's not my native language.
I have 9700k for about 3 years or more, it worked great, no issues. One day i wake up turn on pc and see this weird artefacts on youtube videos and websites. Also my browser tabs started crashing all the time.
First thing i thought, my motherboard dying, few days before my onboard LAN died, so i thought it has to do smth with that. I had Asus B360(Yeah ik, galaxy brain.jpg). So i replaced it with Gigabyte Z390D, it didn't helped.
After tweaking bios, i sorta figured the reason that's causing it, it was turbo boost. I turn it off, theres no issues, no aftefacts no anything. So i thought what if i just overclock it without turbo boost and if theres gonna be artefacts , im just gonna lower CPU frequency by 100mhz. I tried it, it didn't help, increasing cpu frequency even for 100mhz causing this artefacts to show. Tried AIDA stress test, seems fine, it's not overheating. Could it be that my processor degraded so much, that it can't handle even 100mhz boost?
The only thing that's left is PSU, but i doubt it can cause smth like this. Any thoughts?
PS: Theres no artefacts in 3D, i played Cyberpunk 2077 and it seemed fine.
PSS: Yes i tried to plugin monitor directly to motherboard HDMI, didn't helped.

Pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
I'd figure artifacting like that would be down to the video card or monitor, not the CPU. Have you tried testing your memory or your CPU with say Intel Burn-in or Prime95 (large FFT's)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd figure artifacting like that would be down to the video card or monitor, not the CPU. Have you tried testing your memory or your CPU with say Intel Burn-in or Prime95 (large FFT's)?
Yeah but what this has to do with Turbo Boost? If it was GPU that's causing it, there would be artefacts regardless. I haven't, but yeah i might try it, other folks thought it might be RAM too

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
The only time I see artifacting like that is when I push my VRAM overclock too far. Are you using the 9700k on-board GPU or a discrete GPU?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only time I see artifacting like that is when I push my VRAM overclock too far. Are you using the 9700k on-board GPU or a discrete GPU?
Im using 1080ti, i tried lowering Power Limit, didn't help, still seeing a lot of artefacts. I mean that should lower VRAM clock right? I don't know much about overclocking

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Interesting dilemma alright, you have no artifacting in Cyberpunk 2077 but you do on the desktop. It's easy to lower the VRAM clock with Precision X. I'd load up Precision X and try reducing the VRAM clock to the lowest possible (-500) and see if the problem disappears.

Have you tried using a different monitor? I've only had one LCD fail and that was a catastrophic failure -- it completely stopped working and had no outputs at all, but maybe LCD's can fail in other ways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting dilemma alright, you have no artifacting in Cyberpunk 2077 but you do on the desktop. It's easy to lower the VRAM clock with Precision X. I'd load up Precision X and try reducing the VRAM clock to the lowest possible (-500) and see if the problem disappears.

Have you tried using a different monitor? I've only had one LCD fail and that was a catastrophic failure -- it completely stopped working and had no outputs at all, but maybe LCD's can fail in other ways.
Desktop is fine lol, theres no artefacts in explorer, but i have artefacts in steam and browser, maybe in other apps too.

Just tried to run SQUAD(Very demanding game) works fine

As for monitor, nah haven't tried it, gotta say im running super old VGA monitor through HDMI adapter

·
Registered
103 Posts
If i were you, i would run memtest86, for a day or two. Ram issues can sometimes be hard to detect becouse it only fails on certain patterns and bits, yet one small error can cause all kinds of wierd behabiour.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,341 Posts
Simple test, take out the GPU and use the iGPU and see if it still occurs.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
As for monitor, nah haven't tried it, gotta say im running super old VGA monitor through HDMI adapter
Now that's interesting. I've tried an HDMI adapter with an LCD and it never worked quite right. You should try running a regular LCD panel via direct HDMI out and see if you get the same artifacting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If i were you, i would run memtest86, for a day or two. Ram issues can sometimes be hard to detect becouse it only fails on certain patterns and bits, yet one small error can cause all kinds of wierd behabiour.
Ill try it out
Simple test, take out the GPU and use the iGPU and see if it still occurs.
Yeah i tried it, theres still artefacts even with intergrated GPU
Now that's interesting. I've tried an HDMI adapter with an LCD and it never worked quite right. You should try running a regular LCD panel via direct HDMI out and see if you get the same artifacting.
That's the hardest part, don't have another monitor

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
You should probably find and post the specs not only on your CRT or LCD but your HDMI to VGA adapter. The absolute best idea would be to test your system using another monitor/panel with and without the HDMI to VGA converter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts