Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for some reason when i run at stock vpu mhz i get hella artifacts at first i thought it was temp but i took of my iceberg hsf and reaply as5 and i still get the same problem. could it be a faulty card, it was oc'd before and running fine but now i get this problem. Can i send it back to ati even after i changed out the hsf and added copper heatsinks to the ram

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
What kind of PSU are you running?
Artifacting is usually caused more by the memory, try backing the memory clock back to default as well

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
memory is at default and i still have to run at about 20mhz lower vpu to not get artifacts

i have at least a 500 watt psu i forget exact wattage but i know its up there

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
On some aftermarket heatsinks the little metal spacer around the edge of the actual VPU chip caues the heatsink to not make sufficient contact, and that can cause overheating, check to make sure the heatsink is making full contact with the core. I can't think of much else, any other details you can share?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think its making contact because when i put as5 on the vpu core i put the heatsink on, then i took it off and there was as5 on the heatsink, so i dont know.

and i tryd for the life of me to remove the shim and i just cant i dont know any techniques on how to do so

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
shouldn't have to remove it...hmmm I dunno, that's bizarre. Does it still do it when you put the stock heatsink back on there?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm i dont know i never actually tried putting back the original, i have to find where the hell i put it. That would be messed up if the stock heatsink is better then the aftermarket

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Only other thing I could think of is the Power Supply isn't putting out enough juice, but if it worked before that wouldn't make much sense

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im pretty sure it is because i just looked at my power supply box and i got a antec 550watt so if that doesnt do i wouldnt know what would

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
If it don't work right, probably not much

I'd say if it works right though, $200 would be pretty easy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts