Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a EVGA 9800 GT (superclocked edition) and have recently come to find out my system will not boot if I have it in. Its not very old, about 5-6 months old (never been OCd) I have been having to use my older EVGA 8800 GTS 512 (G92) I usually use the 9800 as my primary and the 8800 as my physx processor but now I can't have my 9800 in without having lock-ups.

Any idea how I could troubleshoot it without really going through the RMA process? Thanks ahead of time

(Btw its my birthday so i expect good answers!
)

·
Registered
664 Posts
First off, Happy Birthday!

Have you recently updated your drivers? Does it boot into windows because you mentioned it freezes and it won't boot, so not sure which is more prominent.

Have you done any recent hardware changes or overclocking to CPU and such?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Su77en187 View Post
First off, Happy Birthday!

Have you recently updated your drivers? Does it boot into windows because you mentioned it freezes and it won't boot, so not sure which is more prominent.

Have you done any recent hardware changes or overclocking to CPU and such?
Thank you!

Well this was a problem for me for a pretty long time, since this started happening i have replaced: my mobo, cpu, psu, etc (LOL) it all came down to my card. when i have it in, it boots into windows then does a complete lockup within 30sec to 5 minutes. Note: it also does it in bios (weird?)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Just.. why are you using the 8800GTS for physx? the 8800GTS 512 is basically a 9800GTX, thus faster than the 9800GT.. (128sp's vs 112)

But well, I'd test the 9800GT in another computer, see if it does the same there.. if it does, RMA it as it's very likely to be the card

If you don't like RMAing, you could also try baking the card.. strip everything removable off it and then bake it in an oven at 200c for about 10 mins. Look on youtube for some directions.

If it still doesn't work after that you could still RMA it.

And a happy birthday to you!

• Rep+
Reactions: ArchCorsair

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radeon915 View Post
Just.. why are you using the 8800GTS for physx? the 8800GTS 512 is basically a 9800GTX, thus faster than the 9800GT.. (128sp's vs 112)

But well, I'd test the 9800GT in another computer, see if it does the same there.. if it does, RMA it as it's very likely to be the card

If you don't like RMAing, you could also try baking the card.. strip everything removable off it and then bake it in an oven at 200c for about 10 mins. Look on youtube for some directions.

If it still doesn't work after that you could still RMA it.

And a happy birthday to you!

I've heard of baking your card but honestly that just makes me laugh. The thought of it.. Girlfriend: "What are you making for dinner?" Me: "Nothing, just baking my graphics card."

LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts