Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running my XFX 9800 GT at these settings.

Core Clock - 735
Shader - 1765
Memory - 1075

I can play games, everything runs fine but sometimes when I play them for long I get block artifacts on the whole screen. Sometimes my game crashes and it says that the Graphics Driver got messed up for a bit but recovered.
Is there anyway I can if it truly is stable?

I have Furmark but that thing bumped my Card up to 70c and I hit escape >.> (Not Trying to burn my card up) How long am I supposed to run the Stability test for?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IamRolks
View Post

I am currently running my XFX 9800 GT at these settings.

Core Clock - 735
Shader - 1765
Memory - 1075

I can play games, everything runs fine but sometimes when I play them for long I get block artifacts on the whole screen. Sometimes my game crashes and it says that the Graphics Driver got messed up for a bit but recovered.
Is there anyway I can if it truly is stable?

I have Furmark but that thing bumped my Card up to 70c and I hit escape >.> (Not Trying to burn my card up) How long am I supposed to run the Stability test for?

Not to ignore everything else, but 70°C is a safe temp for a GPU. Based on what I've been taught, GPUs can generally take what seems to be about 10-20°C more than CPUs (sometimes more). I say that if your temps were exceeding 85°C, or 90°C, then I would definitely consider after market cooling. But also remember that Furmark is likely going to make temps hotter than almost anything you throw at it. I mean, it's trying to render a big furry donut (I love how that sounds). That's a huge work load.

So, I say run Furmark again and don't worry about the temps until they start getting into the region of the upper 80's to low 90's.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I also ran ATI Tools and was getting dead yellow pixels.
I guess it's not stable after all :x

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got artifacts in the 1st Minute of running it..Lol.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
when my GPU gets around 68-70C when overclocked, and im playing a game or 3dmark my display driver stops working, andthe game crashes. Im sure it would be stable if you could keep it cool enough

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Quote:

View Post

turn up ur fan to try to cool the card if u can

my 9800GT became unstable at around 750mhz, core. so i set it at 720. and my memory is unstable at 1000mhz+. i think my card clocks a little lower than i should be able to, but u might be past the point of stability. artifacts are a good indicator that u need to drop ur clock speeds.

my card is stable at 720/1800/900(1800mhz effective). i could clock the ram at 950. but i just left it at 900. i can only acheive this OC w/ my fans turned up. with the fan at 100%, the temps drop to 47*C. my fan runs at 80% now when i apply my OC'ed settings when i want to game. tho i never drop below the 60fps cap in games, so no need to OC, i just did it for the lulz.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Fan is always Running @ 100.
It's @ High 40's Stable.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,146 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well, you gotta admit that it was quite a big overclock. Have you tried the method yet where you keep increasing the clocks in 10-20MHz increments while also paying attention to the straps? By that, I mean you will notice that, even though you chose 735/1765/1075, the actual clocks due to the straps will be different. So while you're adjusting the clocks, I say keep ATi Tool's 3D View open so that you can do the following: run the 3D View to make the card go into Performance mode, and then adjust a clock speed while watching it in some monitor like RivaTuner's monitor, or EVGA Precision's (which is RivaTuner, but with a different GUI and far less features). And if the card underclocks again, you can just click on ATi Tool to bring it to the front so that the 3D view starts rendering again to increase the load in order to bring the card back into performance mode.

If this is confusing, then you shall see what I mean once you do this.

To summarize, the routine is:
  1. Open ATi Tool
  2. Click Show 3D View
  3. Open your overclocking software (such as RivaTuner or EVGA Precision)
  4. Adjust the clocks while watching the monitors to see where the straps are
  5. If the card underclocks, then bring ATi Tool to the front again to make it start rendering the furry cube.
That's about it. I hope your card is better than mine. I'm finding mine to be quite difficult to overclock, so I just leave it at stock.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
looks like 735mhz core is just not stable. i got really bad artifacts and errors at 750, but it didnt crash. try 720, or 700 and see what it does. i left teh shaders linked to the core.

what program r u using to OC? evga's Precision is very easy, lets u have like 10 different OC profiles depending on what u want ( have one for stock, one for my stable OC, and one for an expiremental OC) and u can change the fan speed also.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was my Memory.
I turned it down and Problem solved no dead pixels.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's now @ 730-1780-1065

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IamRolks View Post
It's now @ 730-1780-1065
Are those the clocks you see while you're running Furmark? I mean, are these the clocks shown in the monitor of whatever software you're using (like RivaTuner or EVGA Precision)?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These are the Speeds in EVGA Precision.

·
Registered
205 Posts
be sure to run atitool for an hour to ensure stability, sometimes yellow pixels come up in the artifact scan and atitool doesnt pick it up. at least that happens for me. if that does happen you have to lower your clocks. happy oc'ing!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm running the Stability test, 10mins in @ The Speeds on My Sig.
Temps are in the 76-80c

·
Registered
222 Posts
My evga 9800gt is topping out at 708-1730-1121

When I test stability I run atitools scan overnight

I can go a lot higher and not artifact in games, but i dont roll that way

70C is fine, I wouldnt let it go much higher personally but theoretically theses cards can go up to 90s but I like my gpus to live long lol

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
15mins no Errors, Topping out @ 80c.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IamRolks View Post
These are the Speeds in EVGA Precision.
That's not what I meant. Are these the clocks you see in EVGA Precision's monitors (the left portion of Precision with the graphs)?? Or are you just referring to the numbers to the right of the faders?

You see, thanks to HybridPower, my card underclocks to 300/600/100 without any load. But when there's enough load on the GPU, then it goes into performance mode. Right now it's not overclocked, so performance mode is 738/1836/1100. If I am running Furmark while adjusting clocks and clicking Apply after each adjustment, then I can see them adjust "live". But if there's no load and it's in that power saving mode called HybridPower, then it stays at 300/600/100 no matter what.

For example, if I set my 9800 GTX+'s clocks to 800/2000/1200 and then increase the load on the GPU, I find that the actual clocks are 799/1998/1203. This is because there are straps. For example, starting from 1836 MHz, the shader straps for the 9800 GTX+ increase every 54 MHz. So, it goes from 1836, to 1890, to 1944, etc. But 1836 is always the starting point. So, if you keep subtracting 54 MHz, then you see the straps beneath 1836 MHz. Unfortunately, it's not so easy with the core and memory clocks. They seem random at first. However, they never change. Like, there's always a strap at 799 and 1203.

So, check that out. I have a feeling that it's not really at those clocks. But if it is, then that's awesome.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
These are the Speeds

729 - 730
1782 - 1780
1065 - 1070

The ones on the Left are the ones shown in the Graph Part.
The ones on the right are the numbers on the bars.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts