Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I have a problem with a graphics card i recently purchased (9800gx2).... The card is indeed refurbished. now the problem is when i play a high intensive game it will lock up and freeze or it will lock up and the screen will have no vid feed but the comp will stay on. it even did it once will just looking at stuff on computer (once) I thought i finally fixed it by underclocking the card and increasing the stupid fan speed from 45% to 95% since that is recommended for this card. now the card runs untill i turn off the game then it might freeze or lock up. it also does it in game sometimes.... all this is while doing intensive gaming like crysis and starcraft 2 I bought a new PSU for it a Ultra LSP 750W.

system specs are:
motherboard: K9n2 SLI Platnuim
AMD Phenom 9750 Quad 2.4GHZ
2x2 gig sticks
250 GiG WD HDD
80 GIG fujitsu

p.s I have already done driver updates and unistalled the drivers using driver sweeper in safe
mode. aswell as doing bios updates and windows updates.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
baking it like running it hard then seeing the results? wouldnt that ultimately ruin the card in the long run?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyonkun87 View Post
baking it like running it hard then seeing the results? wouldnt that ultimately ruin the card in the long run?
As in taking off the Heatsink , setting your Oven to 200C(395F) , and baking it for 10 minutes... That kind of thing
I'm serious between , look up some guides on Youtube , or here on OCN.

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyonkun87 View Post
Yes, especially on a card that isn't really effected by the broken solder bump issue.

Download EVGA precision and check out the GPU temperature. I'd be willing to bet one (or both) GPU's will break 120-130C and emergency shutdown the card. With EVGA precision you can also increase the fan speed, which would be a good thing to try if temperatures break 100C.

Also look at your case airflow; the 9800GX2's are hot cards, but aren't that bad to cool assuming you give plenty of intake air, and do not use a side fan with this card. Part of the air exhausts out the side of the card, and if you have a side fan blowing in, it can just push hot air back into the card. I had great luck reversing my side case fan to draw air out of the case.

In my Thermal take armor, I never had issues with my 9800GX2 breaking 75C with the fan speed at I think ~65% or so.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you I'll try that. Just so you know i have a air conditioner blowing in to the front side of the system basically really cold air. of course i dont use right when i start the computer but it definately works. crysis dont get any higher than 64-67c on Vhigh 2xAA so it works.

Also never had any problem with BC2.... it works fine. but all comps run differently in some way.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nothing worked so i'm gonna just send it back before i lose the chance to. I won't be getting another from this place since they dont have anymore. I'll probably end up getting 2 9800 gt's. don't know yet. what do yall think.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you everyone for the suggestions and help on this subject even though it was short and the fact that i got rid of the card. Now I have to figure out what to buy as a graphics card under 200 dolla. any suggestions?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by LethalRise750 View Post
GTX 460 Lol
you wiling to buy it for me^^without me paying you back lol

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
Could be an issue leaving 2D clockspeed and switching to 3D causing a driver/BIOS failure, similar to the issue some 5970s had.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
true I thought they cost more than that, my bad anyway I still have to wait until I get my money back so yeah.I'll probably go with a GTX275 or 280 since they reach 1gig ram. dont know yet thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Were these the ones posted on slickdeals? If these are the BFG's (which is out of business) and have trouble with a return to your merchant, you may want to look into PNY's promotion: http://www3.pny.com/MarketingPromoti...ategory_ID=448 - Probably better off ebay'ing your card if it's in working condition, but it could be a good last resort if you can't get rid of it.

I picked up 2 of those bad boys as well for about $240. Was a pretty good deal for a Quad-SLI setup, although it looks as though Quad-SLI with these guys isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I'm having some similar issues with mine, although it's with StarCraft 2. I've done a bit of tinkering with hardware and software and helped things a bit.

Hardware - Keeping these things cool is an effort in of itself. I took off the shrouds and inverted my side case fan to exhaust out air. In addition, my CoolerMaster case (haf 922) allows for a vertical-mounted PCI card to be placed where my GPU's are. This let me put a slot cooler (on exhaust) exactly where these 2 cards shoot out their air on the side. This combo did a great job at bringing the heat down.

Software - Still tinkering with this a bit, but I have gotten some of the stuttering out of StarCraft 2 (not all). Managing the 3D settings in Nvidia control panel seems to be key, with tinkering with the SLI Performance Mode and PhysX settings.

At the end of the day, it's worth it to spend $200 on a solid single card that is more modern. Getting DX11, better heat control, and faster memory. Still, it's nice to look at a Quad SLI setup. I had a 9800GT in as well for a dedicated PhysX card...but I was starting to push it with my 750 Watt PSU.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by reddog093 View Post
Were these the ones posted on slickdeals? If these are the BFG's (which is out of business) and have trouble with a return to your merchant, you may want to look into PNY's promotion: http://www3.pny.com/MarketingPromoti...ategory_ID=448 - Probably better off ebay'ing your card if it's in working condition, but it could be a good last resort if you can't get rid of it.

I picked up 2 of those bad boys as well for about $240. Was a pretty good deal for a Quad-SLI setup, although it looks as though Quad-SLI with these guys isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I'm having some similar issues with mine, although it's with StarCraft 2. I've done a bit of tinkering with hardware and software and helped things a bit.

Hardware - Keeping these things cool is an effort in of itself. I took off the shrouds and inverted my side case fan to exhaust out air. In addition, my CoolerMaster case (haf 922) allows for a vertical-mounted PCI card to be placed where my GPU's are. This let me put a slot cooler (on exhaust) exactly where these 2 cards shoot out their air on the side. This combo did a great job at bringing the heat down.

Software - Still tinkering with this a bit, but I have gotten some of the stuttering out of StarCraft 2 (not all). Managing the 3D settings in Nvidia control panel seems to be key, with tinkering with the SLI Performance Mode and PhysX settings.

At the end of the day, it's worth it to spend $200 on a solid single card that is more modern. Getting DX11, better heat control, and faster memory. Still, it's nice to look at a Quad SLI setup. I had a 9800GT in as well for a dedicated PhysX card...but I was starting to push it with my 750 Watt PSU.
Sounds like you got a great setup going. also the starcraft this is true i had to do some tinkering to make it work properly aswell. But I had no problem running Crysis it stayed at a constant 35-45 fps although that was using the benchmark thing that came with the game. in game it ran about the same. you can see a few spots of lag mostly in the alien ship. but it never laster for more than 3 minutes. it wasnt a cooling issue i know that much.

while playing crysis it got up to (on very high settings no AA) 75 max but usually stays around 64c and idles about 37 so it stayed nice and cool in my system but it never lasted. I have a cooling system where air conditioned air goes in from the front so its nice and cold itside the computer.

I RMA'd this card and bought a Galaxy(factory overclocked) GTX 460 1 gig and I LOVE IT! it was 219 dollars kida much but it was worth it to finally upgrade to current gen cards.

the only complaints is its very fragile feeling, basically easily breakble if not careful. but the thing is awesome! I recommened it for anybody who doesnt feeling selling a kidney to get a graphics card.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts