Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a Sapphire 9800 PRO 256 bit 128 mb card. I have added OCZ ramsinks and a Silencer heatsink fan (with some AS5).

The other day my computer was on after some surfing, etc. and then after a while the screen went blank. My monitor seemed like it was hibernating because there was no active signal coming from the graphics card. I tried a hard restart and still - blank screen.

I then proceeded to take out the 9800 PRO and reinstall my old GeForce card. Booted up with the old card and everything worked as expected.

My question is this: what could have gone wrong with my 9800 PRO to cause it to blank screen on me?

1. I've always used proper ESD protection (wrist strap, ESD shoes, etc.) when working with the card
2. I haven't really done more than putting the new cooler and ramsinks on... and have since run with Catalyst drivers for weeks with no issues.
3. The card was running at default speeds at the time and really have not done much OC-ing on this card yet.
4. I had recently installed the latest Omega drivers (Radeon Omega Drivers 2.5.90 (Catalyst 4.10 Beta)) for the card... could that have been the problem?

Is my card fried? Can I RMA it as I only got it about 2 months ago?

Thanks for all your help and sorry if I sound frantic...

·
Registered
57 Posts
yes you can send it back as a defective product.
but it looks strange to me why it did that since it is no OC and yet you weren't even using it.
try to see if it does the same on another motherboard with agp slot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjvischu

Hello all,

I have a Sapphire 9800 PRO 256 bit 128 mb card. I have added OCZ ramsinks and a Silencer heatsink fan (with some AS5).

The other day my computer was on after some surfing, etc. and then after a while the screen went blank. My monitor seemed like it was hibernating because there was no active signal coming from the graphics card. I tried a hard restart and still - blank screen.

I then proceeded to take out the 9800 PRO and reinstall my old GeForce card. Booted up with the old card and everything worked as expected.

My question is this: what could have gone wrong with my 9800 PRO to cause it to blank screen on me?

1. I've always used proper ESD protection (wrist strap, ESD shoes, etc.) when working with the card
2. I haven't really done more than putting the new cooler and ramsinks on... and have since run with Catalyst drivers for weeks with no issues.
3. The card was running at default speeds at the time and really have not done much OC-ing on this card yet.
4. I had recently installed the latest Omega drivers (Radeon Omega Drivers 2.5.90 (Catalyst 4.10 Beta)) for the card... could that have been the problem?

Is my card fried? Can I RMA it as I only got it about 2 months ago?

Thanks for all your help and sorry if I sound frantic...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't think I'll have the opportunity to try it on another MOBO... but one other thing occurred to me... would I possibly need to upgrade my PSU?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjvischu

Don't think I'll have the opportunity to try it on another MOBO... but one other thing occurred to me... would I possibly need to upgrade my PSU?

300W should be fine

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
300w IS NOT FINE!!! its got a MINIMUM recommendation of 350W! I say upgrade that PSU Before you go RMA it, and are those ramsink glued on? If they are I don't think you could return it anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Ramsinks are on with the doublesided thermal tape that came with them. That was my fear that there would be no good way to RMA it b/c of the ramsinks...

My gut is telling me that it is due to the Omega driver that I installed the same day it went on a fritz... is that possible?

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
I had a crappy 350w psu running a 9800pro 128, but it doesnt matter, I have a celeron
.. not that its a good thing... lol

Oh, and if its double sided tape, you've got it made!

But I highly doubt its the Omega drivers. Does your case vibrate alot? If it does the card could have come unseated.
Other then that I would say, chipped off a part, loose power cord for it, or fell out of AGP slot (
, LOL) .. But since you were on the comp while it happened... who knows? maybe it was a bad card. Even if it says the cards have a life expectancy of like 75000 hours, it doesnt matter, all they do is take like 75 cards and leave them running until a couple break.. I think... lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by shermstix

Correct, especially if you have a power hungry CPU like the Prescott, you will need a MINIMUM 420W PSU. Strange things happen when you have too little power, or a crappy PSU.

My current system is a Dell Dimension 8100 of which I've upgraded the Processor to a 2.4Ghz P4 (Powerleap PL-P4/N upgrade), and added 256 mb Rambus for a total of 512.

The PSU is the stock PSU that came with the Dell... it's a 250W, but I've read that Dell's PSU's are conservatively rated and is comparable to a retail 330W PSU.

My gut tells me that the card is fine, but I'm not 100% sure...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThE_GeNeRaL

have you tried the new dna drivers???

Nope, haven't tried the DNA drivers... where can I get those?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I've tried different drivers and can't even get the screen to come up with this card... I'm guessing it's toast... Any tips on RMA-ing the card?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts