Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I was thinkin would it work to take an old heatsink and cut it up into pieces the correct size to fit the memory on my 9800 pro? also how would i go about attaching the ramsinks?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leprachuan
OK... I was thinkin would it work to take an old heatsink and cut it up into pieces the correct size to fit the memory on my 9800 pro? also how would i go about attaching the ramsinks?
I would just buy some RAM sinks, or an Arctic Silencer. It would be too much trouble to cut up a heat sink for your RAM. But if you did decide to do it, you could use thermal tape to hold it in place.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I bought some OCZ aluminum BGA RAMsinks for $8 at newegg, they look great (haven't got to use them yet since computer is dead though
)

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
What I have read elsewhere (before I knew about the site) has said the RAM sinks are really not necessary as long as you have a good GPU HS. The heat that builds up in the chips is more residual from thermal transfer from the GPU through the PCB. Focus on the GPU and you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
This is true unless you're like me and have a voltmod on your memory controller so the RAM chips get HOT not just warm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts