Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this used card and stock AQ3 scores was 41,248. I ran ATI Tool for approx. 3 hrs (mem and core) each. My OC was 398/338. ***? The mem overclocked lower than stock!
I also have this mod ( http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=271&p=6 ) and replaced old thermal paste with AS5 !! I also have a 92mm fan blowing from the bottom of th card like a ghetto PCI Slot Fan. Would an actual aftermarket cooler help at this moment?

·
Overclockiit
3,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwiztidPOPS

I bought this used card and stock AQ3 scores was 41,248. I ran ATI Tool for approx. 3 hrs (mem and core) each. My OC was 398/338. ***? The mem overclocked lower than stock!
I also have this mod ( http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=271&p=6 ) and replaced old thermal paste with AS5 !! I also have a 92mm fan blowing from the bottom of th card like a ghetto PCI Slot Fan. Would an actual aftermarket cooler help at this moment?

When i had my 9800XT i had the same problems overclocking as you are with your 9800 Pro, i would run ati tool and it would do exactly what you just said it underclocked itself, and when i overclocked it myself manually like maybe 5mhz higher it would severly artifact and the temps where outragous at stock temps, anyhow i never came up with a solution as to why it was doing that and sold it.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
It's that dinky little heatsink that ati threw onto it....its so small, its like sticking a p3 heatsink..on a prescott

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have a 9800pro 128 and i added an arctic silencer for 15 bucks shipped and i can get 425/370 out of it now.

i think i got it from SVC for 9.99 + ~5 shipping.

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorLCA

The 9800Pro series was a great card, but the 128MB versions are fairly old, while a good card stock, I jsut dont think the cooling capacity and chip can handle much more than maybe XT speeds.

I AGREE. It doesnt have very sufficient cooling. I also belive it depends on the momory chips on your card to how well it will oc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Back when I had a 9800 pro I found that having motherboard monitor 5 installed would do this. Severe artifacting when OC and atitool would lower clocks lower than stock. Once I removed MB5 the card clocked up nicely. Ended up at 440/365 with a little bump in voltage and 420/365 with stock voltage. Note: I had to completely uninstall MB5. I think the driver probe was the problem.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by KreyMerr

i have a 9800pro 128 and i added an arctic silencer for 15 bucks shipped and i can get 425/370 out of it now.

i think i got it from SVC for 9.99 + ~5 shipping.

Which revision do I get?

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
I put a VF-700 on my 9800 PRO 128MB and got it up to 432/375 with no trouble.

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
I also have a fan that I mounted to my mobo back plate that blows over the top of the card (sorta, it blows on the northbridge too) There is also an intake fan blowing on the side of the card from my side window. I like to think I have a pretty good air cooling setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts