Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They both are detected, but when i go into device manager and enable the 8800GS the screen goes blank.

what do I do?

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not helpful.

take your sarcasm elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
install the latest physX software and use the 8800gs for dedicated physX and the 9800gt as the main gpu.

that's all u can do

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by razr7
View Post

install the latest physX software and use the 8800gs for dedicated physX and the 9800gt as the main gpu.

that's all u can do

I know this.

you missed where im stuck.

I cant use the 8800GS, if i enable it it makes the screen go blank.

the 9800GT works just fine.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
then the card have issues, trying using it as a primary card and see if the screen blank out when u enable it

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it works.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,123 Posts
Why exactly are you "enabling" the card?
When you put the card in, you shouldn't have to manually enable it. Just put it in, make sure the drivers install.

Once you enable and the screen goes black, have you tried plugging your monitor into that second card to see if your system tried to make it the primary display adapter?

I have run 2-3 cards in the same system in the past, physx and sli... not once have I had to manually enable the cards.

EDIT:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerberus
View Post

it works.

oh, good... So what was the cause of the problem and the solution?

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by k4m1k4z3
View Post

Why exactly are you "enabling" the card?
When you put the card in, you shouldn't have to manually enable it. Just put it in, make sure the drivers install.

Once you enable and the screen goes black, have you tried plugging your monitor into that second card to see if your system tried to make it the primary display adapter?

I have run 2-3 cards in the same system in the past, physx and sli... not once have I had to manually enable the cards.

EDIT:

oh, good... So what was the cause of the problem and the solution?

i Was saying the card works to the other guy.

Well when I first put it in, turned on the computer, the windows updater downloaded the drivers and installed it automatically.

Once it just finished installing, the screen went blank.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,123 Posts
Quote:

View Post

i Was saying the card works to the other guy.

Well when I first put it in, turned on the computer, the windows updater downloaded the drivers and installed it automatically.

Once it just finished installing, the screen went blank.

ah, ok.

So the screen went blank during the driver install... That usually happens when you install the drivers. But everything usually comes back after 5-10 seconds once the hardware has been configured to run on those drivers.

Sounds like you have something going wrong in that driver install.

What version of the drivers are you using?

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by k4m1k4z3
View Post

ah, ok.

So the screen went blank during the driver install... That usually happens when you install the drivers. But everything usually comes back after 5-10 seconds once the hardware has been configured to run on those drivers.

Sounds like you have something going wrong in that driver install.

What version of the drivers are you using?

uhhh, whatever windows downloaded.

I Uninstalled the previous ones and i am now letting it re-download and try again.

If it does not work this time ill go to Nvidia's site and download them.

but how will I install the drivers just for the 8800 not the 9800

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
did not work.

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts
Have you cleaned your older drivers out completely with Driver Sweeper etc.?

Also, try taking out the 8800, boot in Safe Mode, run Driver Cleaner/Sweeper and get rid of any PhysX and nVidia Display Drivers, boot in normal mode and install the latest drivers from nVidia's site (or whatever ones you're running now), then reboot and let it configure, turn off, plug in 8800 and install the drivers again for the second card.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvoBeardy
View Post

Have you cleaned your older drivers out completely with Driver Sweeper etc.?

Also, try taking out the 8800, boot in Safe Mode, run Driver Cleaner/Sweeper and get rid of any PhysX and nVidia Display Drivers, boot in normal mode and install the latest drivers from nVidia's site (or whatever ones you're running now), then reboot and let it configure, turn off, plug in 8800 and install the drivers again for the second card.

How should I install the 8800 drivers? let windows do it or?

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
I've had a similar problem while playin around with drivers on my sig rig. do a driversweep, and download the official drivers from nvidia, either the newest 196's or even the beta 197's.

I've never been a huge fan of windows drivers for high end rigs. for lower end it'll do fine.

For gaming rigs, i always manually do chipset, sound (if surround), video, and ethernet if dual lan.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
You can't run two different Nvidia drivers at the same time.
Both cards have to run off of the same driver.
Just download the latest driver that supports both cards.
Install it in device manager (once for each card).
In Display Properties, check the "extend my desktop..." box for the second monitor (if you're using two).

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts
Quote:

View Post

How should I install the 8800 drivers? let windows do it or?

Just run the driver .exe of the driver you downloaded, and it'll take you through the installation process. (just a couple of "next's" you have to do).

Basically as soon as Windows starts up and you can open an explorer window, run it then, Windows will be trying and will possibly succeed in installing it's own drivers in this time, but just ignore that and carry on with the nVidia ones.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvoBeardy
View Post

Just run the driver .exe of the driver you downloaded, and it'll take you through the installation process. (just a couple of "next's" you have to do).

Basically as soon as Windows starts up and you can open an explorer window, run it then, Windows will be trying and will possibly succeed in installing it's own drivers in this time, but just ignore that and carry on with the nVidia ones.

see, I tried to do this, but as soo an i load the nvidia drivers, windows successfully installs the card and the screen goes blank.

so honestly im back to square 1.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts