Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just Overclocked my 9800 gt 1gb ddr3 the other day. While it was overclocked I got some wierd malfunctions in World at War. All the guns in the game turned green. There were also wierd smoke clouds that were flashing. So knowing that I just overclocked the graphics card i quickly turned off my computer. Now i was using a VF1000 which fits perfectly on the 9800gt with ram sincs. The fan though plugs into the motherboard (
MBN790IUL9) and i believe it was running at some stock speed and not adjusting. I installed the hardware fan controller and set the fan to around 80-90%. I returned the GPU to stock settings. I continued playing a little while later and everything was fine. the next day i was playing World at War and the game would run fine until i died. Then when the game would reload i would get these wierd flashing smoke clouds and what seemed like a tint/ contrast adjustment(the colors looked a little warmer). I thought they were software issues because They would appear after i died and the game reloaded. I was trying to watch some movies with my girlfriend and my dvd player was broken. She brought over her HD LCD 32" 1080p with built in dvd player. So naturally I had to hook it up to my computer to see how it looked . After I hooked it up and loaded World at War I got masive artifacts on the second level. They were small artifacts covering all the water and around edges of objects. Some objects would leave a ghosting type blur. Some characters seemed they were rendered perfectly and the frame rates seemeed to be ok..... I didnt check the exact frames. Now my computer displays artifacts in World at War. The only other game I have access to at this time is AoE III I turned the settings all the way up but i saw no artifacts, but the game seemed to choke up every ounce in a while. The game also seemed bland. I overclocked the card to 760/1100/1900. so my guess is i fried the pixel shader. whatever that is. I disasembled the card and i noticed there are these dots on the corners of the ram chips and some other chips. These dots semed to be some type of indicator. They are slighty different shades of black/grey with a different type of gloss. This one chip that is near the ram has yellow spots near what i believe to be the indicator and the circle is also a yellow color. The card does not display artifacts unless in an intense 3d rendered program. Also im using windows 7 This picture shows the chip that i believe to be fried. This is not my card just a pic i found online.

So my questions are. What does this chip do on the card? Do you think my Vram was damaged?

Most importantly can i return it to newegg even though it was overclocked? Has anyone had trouble returning products to newegg? If they can tell it was overclocked anyone know any good links to reset video bios.

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
Yeh shouldn't be able to tell, I think the only thing you have to worry about is when you flash the gpu's bios to a different version. Just put it back together and RMA. Just say it was dead on arrival.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The dot on the corner of each chip is just a reference for the manufacturing process. More specifically, it shows which pin is pin 1, so the chip can be mounted in the proper orientation.

The dots are NOT indicators of any kind (except Orientation).

Other than that, I cant contribute much more. Could the yellow be paint or heatsink compound?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
If you got it from Newegg, then you have a good chance at getting a new one. I don't know about anyone else. Don't you void your warranty when you OC?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dear mellowfellow,

Thanks for taking the time to post your kind review. We truly apologize for any inconvenience this may of caused you. At your earliest convenience please contact me personally at [email protected] or via phone at 800-390-1119 ext 25040 so I may further assist you in this matter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts