Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my brother was folding with a 9800GT when suddenly it dies. The computer didn't recognize it at all. He brought it home, cleaned it up, reapplied thermal paste, and still didn't work. We checked for any damages or burns on the PCB but there were none. So for the last ditch effort, I baked the graphics card at 385F for 10 minutes. Just like another thread told me to. It works
. Now he can get back to folding.

Sorry, no pics, I had no idea that the oven trick would work. But at least its working again and we don't have to spend any money on a new card
. It runs pretty hot though. I don't know why. 63 on idle? maybe its the cheap Zalman grease that I got with my CPU cooler.

EDIT:
Thread:
http://www.overclock.net/graphics-ca...-oven-fix.html

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Link added.
He doesn't exactly say 385F but it shows in his vid. And he also said to put it in for 10 minutes, then cool for 20 minutes. Dang so happy atm.

And yea, haha. I didn't have any other grease on me atm. I'll get some tx-2 later and put it on.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
DragonLotus, congratulations on your resurrection success. I'd like you to take a look at the method I used to do so on a dead 9800GX2. It is much safer and will not decrease the life of the card after you revive it as much as the oven method does. See Here

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Open1Your1Eyes0
View Post

DragonLotus, congratulations on your resurrection success. I'd like you to take a look at the method I used to do so on a dead 9800GX2. It is much safer and will not decrease the life of the card after you revive it as much as the oven method does. See Here

Oh thanks! I didn't see that before. but that I have read it, I think I might've been able to do that next time if another card dies on me or my brother. Thanks a lot for the link.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts