Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone.ive 9800gtx+ gpu.i would like to play games on veryhigh mode like crysis so was thinking to add another 9800gtx+.
should i add another gtx+ or better to buy 1gtx295.if i buy sli do i need to so something about cooling or they would be fine with their stack cooling.and what kind of power should i use for sli or 295?thanks
sorry bout bad english
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,245 Posts
Sell and buy the new card... unless you are a folder its generaly a good rule of thumb that 1 card with more power is better than 2 of equal power... then you can upgrade in the future if it suits you, much like your current situation, but because 9800gtx+ is a pretty good card you could still cash in on its worth and future proof yourself just a little bit more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cbrazeau1115 View Post
Sell and buy the new card... unless you are a folder its generaly a good rule of thumb that 1 card with more power is better than 2 of equal power... then you can upgrade in the future if it suits you, much like your current situation, but because 9800gtx+ is a pretty good card you could still cash in on its worth and future proof yourself just a little bit more.
thanks for help cbrazeau.im so sorry but i couldnt undrestand u perfectly my english is realy bad.
u mean buying 295gtx is better?sorry again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
you will definately need a good powersupply (PSU). 600w might be enough for 2x9800GTX+, but it will be close. the GTX295 will be too much for a 600w PSU.

so the problem is, if u get another 9800GTX+, u need to buy a new motherboard (the X48 chipset on the rampage will not support SLI. the only intel chipset that supports SLI is the new X58 chip for use with the i7 CPUs)

but if u get the GTX295 (which is very expensive) u will need a new power supply.

its a trade off of money.

if we had more info on ur power supply, that would help. a model name and maker would help a lot.

both of the setups, SLI 9800GTX+ or the GTX295 will be good for crysis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
715 Posts
well if money is not an issue then the gtx295 would be better, but you will need a better power supply. if you are on a bit of a budget you should be able to run two 9800gtx+ on a 600W power supply. the two 9800gtx+'s will be able to run crysis and everything else on very high, but the gtx295 will give you better framerates. If I was you I would just get another 9800gtx+.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert View Post
you will definately need a good powersupply (PSU). 600w might be enough for 2x9800GTX+, but it will be close. the GTX295 will be too much for a 600w PSU.

so the problem is, if u get another 9800GTX+, u need to buy a new motherboard (the X48 chipset on the rampage will not support SLI. the only intel chipset that supports SLI is the new X58 chip for use with the i7 CPUs)

but if u get the GTX295 (which is very expensive) u will need a new power supply.

its a trade off of money.

if we had more info on ur power supply, that would help. a model name and maker would help a lot.

both of the setups, SLI 9800GTX+ or the GTX295 will be good for crysis
thanks for info Intelcovert.power suplly came with board and its 600w.ah u cant sli with rog?
was happy if i could spend lower than 350$.so what can i do now?just have choice to buy gtx295 and new power supply?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
u can get a new motherboard and another 9800GTX+ for $350 easy. the 9800GTX+ should cost like $180 and then u have plenty of money to spend on a board.

the GTX295 will be like $500 alone and a powersupply to support it would cost $100 or more

if u want to go SLI, get something with an nvidia 750i or 780i chipset to enable SLI. the Evga 750i FTW board is a favorite around here.

i recommend going with SLI. sell ur Asus X48 board, add that to ur budget. get the Evga 750i FTW board and another 9800GTX+. that way u have great gaming performance and u can keep ur 600w PSU. but be careful and keep an eye on ur temps and voltages from that PSU, 2x9800GTX+ will push that PSU to its limits when ur gaming. specially if u OC ur CPU or the video card
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert View Post
u can get a new motherboard and another 9800GTX+ for $350 easy. the 9800GTX+ should cost like $180 and then u have plenty of money to spend on a board.

the GTX295 will be like $500 alone and a powersupply to support it would cost $100 or more

if u want to go SLI, get something with an nvidia 750i or 780i chipset to enable SLI. the Evga 750i FTW board is a favorite around here.

i recommend going with SLI. sell ur Asus X48 board, add that to ur budget. get the Evga 750i FTW board and another 9800GTX+. that way u have great gaming performance and u can keep ur 600w PSU. but be careful and keep an eye on ur temps and voltages from that PSU, 2x9800GTX+ will push that PSU to its limits when ur gaming. specially if u OC ur CPU or the video card
thanks for help gonna buy new mob and 9800gtx+ dont think it cost more than 370$ realy thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,928 Posts
a 750i sli ftw and another 9800gtx+ will be the best bet. that way you can probably step up to something better. it'll be cheaper if you sell your current mobo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by epigram View Post
thanks for help gonna buy new mob and 9800gtx+ dont think it cost more than 370$ realy thanks.
no problem man, its what we are here for
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,985 Posts
gtx295 since u dont have a sli board and going from a x48 to a 780i is a downgrade (will hurt oc) just get a gtx295 or a gtx285. a 285 is similar to 9800gtx+ sli performance wise.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,172 Posts
2 4870's wil cost around $300 after the price drop
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,172 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert View Post
he already has a 9800GTX+....
but a crossfire motherboard
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top