1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys how are you?

First off all merry Christmas to everyone, all the best
wink.gif

Can you just solve a little and noob question for me?

I have 2 Galax 980ti GOC Edition, is it normal that the high asic card boost better than the lower asic card? Boost clock is always related to better asic?

And about mounting cards, should I always let the high asic one on top playing with Sli?

Thanks guys

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,348 Posts
From my experience with TITAN X and 980tis higher asic cards usually do come with higher real boost clocks from the factory but that doesnt always mean they overclock higher. My first 3 titan X i bought the one with the highest asic came with the highest factory boost speeds but the one with the middle asic overclocked the best followed by the lowest asic with the highest asic right behind that one.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged View Post

From my experience with TITAN X and 980tis higher asic cards usually do come with higher real boost clocks from the factory but that doesnt always mean they overclock higher. My first 3 titan X i bought the one with the highest asic came with the highest factory boost speeds but the one with the middle asic overclocked the best followed by the lowest asic with the highest asic right behind that one.
Thanks

But talking about sli, the best asic should be on top always?

And the better boost should be the top one also?

Tks

·
Registered
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsarahan View Post

Thanks

But talking about sli, the best asic should be on top always?

And the better boost should be the top one also?

Tks

It doesn't matter if the higher one is on top or bottom with sli your OC is limited to whatever card OC the least

·
Registered
263 Posts
I put the higher ASIC on the bottom because it uses lower voltage and runs cooler
thumb.gif

·
Twitch Streamer
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3321J6 View Post

I put the higher ASIC on the bottom because it uses lower voltage and runs cooler
thumb.gif
ASIC does not matter and is not an 100% accurate indicator if it will OC high or not or run cooler

·
Registered
201 Posts
I bought a matrix 980 ti, my asic was 71, my friends' matrix has an asic of 71.2, I checked on the forum and another guys asic was 70.7. do I see a trend? I thought the matrix was supposed to be the crème de la crème of 980 tis. Or are all matrix mid asic cards for a reason?

·
2,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

ASIC does not matter and is not an 100% accurate indicator if it will OC high or not or run cooler
No, but it could be used as a rough guide to what a cooling setup may do for OCability. AFAIK high ASIC is better for air OCing due to less leakage and low ASIC is better under water with higher leakage (nullified by the superior cooling solution). Not sure if that still holds up as much today, but in the Fermi days it did.

In general, anything above 70% is fair game for air cooled cards, my Hybrid is 81.5% but I'd happily swap for <70% Hybrid any day.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolutional View Post

No, but it could be used as a rough guide to what a cooling setup may do for OCability. AFAIK high ASIC is better for air OCing due to less leakage and low ASIC is better under water with higher leakage (nullified by the superior cooling solution). Not sure if that still holds up as much today, but in the Fermi days it did.

In general, anything above 70% is fair game for air cooled cards, my Hybrid is 81.5% but I'd happily swap for <70% Hybrid any day.
With this theory, high asic better air cooling oc, low asic better water cooling oc. So wouldnt it be beat to water cool a high asic? Best of both worlds right? I dunno i might be wrong here, im just using my commin sense

·
2,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelballrun99 View Post

With this theory, high asic better air cooling oc, low asic better water cooling oc. So wouldnt it be beat to water cool a high asic? Best of both worlds right? I dunno i might be wrong here, im just using my commin sense
Na, high leakage is usually better cause you can pump more voltage into it and retain stability more than low leakage. The side effect is increased heat - which water counteracts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts