Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced 2 fans that were dying on my card, since I could get 3 similar Asus fans for the price of one Gigabytes on ebay, I decided to go for the Asus.. the plugs were not compatible so I had to solder..

I replaced the first one without problem, there are 4 cables though since it's PMW, I only plugged 2, with the first it worked fine, I was happy, what I didn't realize was that it would run at full speed without the PMW.. however it didn't for the first so.. (I read somewhere that you can make it so it runs at 7v by changing cables arround with PMW, maybe that's what happend ?)

However with the second fan, I now have my whole 3 GPU fans running at 100%.. which is super annoying needless to say !

Since I wasn't even sure what cables were the right ones I had the graphic card running and I wanted to try live ( I know, not smart right) and I short-circuited something, PC reboot, it runs fine now with how I set it but except it runs with 100% fans lol..

So I'm not quite sure what happend here, perhaps I fried the PMW system or something, or perhaps it's just shorted and makes it run all fans at 100%..

I need help I'm not sure what to do next.. I was thinking of swapping cables arround but at this point I'm scared to do any more damage and don't want to break the voltage circuit on the GPU essentially frying my GPU for a stupid 12v cable, or also harm my power supply too

What do you guys recommend I should do ?

I was thinking of buying a fan controller but with cheap ones there is no fan curves control from what I seen.. and the one that does are like the fancy Aerocool 100$+ plus I would need to manually cable the fans and could run the risk of screwing things up doing that too

I could just remove the fans and protection and run normal 120mm fan on it.. I seen a video on youtube linus did and it seemed to work fine.. seems like the best solution, at least for now

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just attach two decent 120mm fans on it and control them through a mobo header/fan controller. You should have better cooling and less noise overall.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah you're right, I'm gonna do this.. I first will try to use the PMW on the card, I might have to remove the shroud, we'll see, maybe the cables aren't long enough, anyway I could do it on the mobo PMW and control it through speedfan (been looking into this software sounds like it's doable to manage fan speeds from GPU sensor..).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts