Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a Gigabyte R1 980ti a couple of months ago and it's acting really strange...

I have the following issues:

1. in games (especially in Starcraft 2 for some reason) the games freeze randomly. Sometimes is half a second long sometimes 5-10 seconds. I can still make commands with the games and when I get the games back I can just continue playing. VERY annoying though.

2.The GPU is making whining noises even when at desktop! When I'm doing nothing it makes the weirdest noises.

3. Rarely I just get a black screen. My monitors still receive input but they're just black and will be until I restart. This issue is becoming more regular as time goes on.

Is this my 980ti?

Thanks!
thumb.gif

System Specs:
CPU: Intel i7 3930k @ 4.25Ghz
CPU Coolant: Corsair H100i V2 with 2x Noctua NF-P12 PWM
RAM: Kingston 16GB (4x4GB DIMMS) 2333Mhz @ 11,13,14,30,1
MOBO: ASUS ROG Rampage 4 Formula
GPU: Gigabyte 980ti
SSD: 60GB OCZ 550MB Up 450MB Down
HDD: x2 Seagate Barracuda 2TB

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Is the card overclcocked at all? It sounds to me like unstable overclock than anything else. What version is the card, maybe the factory clocks are too high, try downclocking maybe? Is memory overclocked at all. I always had issues in games freezing when all I did was add 100Mhz to memory. I always run memory at stock while gaming to avoid headaches in games from freezing, and gray/black screens.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc79 View Post

Is the card overclcocked at all? It sounds to me like unstable overclock than anything else. What version is the card, maybe the factory clocks are too high, try downclocking maybe? Is memory overclocked at all. I always had issues in games freezing when all I did was add 100Mhz to memory. I always run memory at stock while gaming to avoid headaches in games from freezing, and gray/black screens.
I would say it's a G1 and the op typed incorrectly in his first sentence.
never heard of a Gigabyte R1 GTX 980ti, but the G1 is factory over clocked.
I would RMA it just because of the coil whine he is hearing.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Stock G1 should run fine in games 1190/1291Mhz. But if it's overclocked, it might be unstable adding even 50Mhz to already fairly high overclock out of the box could cause issues in games. I run my Ti's in games 1232/1320MHz, anything higher and it crashes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts