Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm about to build my new rig. I'm either considering a 980X from Intel and put it on an EVGA Classified motherboard or going with 2 x XEON E5620's (Possibly 5520's) and putting them on the EVGA SR2 dual socket motherboard.

The actual cost would be higher if I went with the 980x and a Classified mobo compared to 2 x XEON E5602's and the SR2 mobo. So I'm not sure what to do really at this point.

Or I was thinking I could grab one of the 6 core Xeons and put it on the SR2 and grab another down the road. That way I'd basically have the 980X on a classy performance and able to upgrade further with a second 6 core Xeon later on and more ram. Would be about $200 more expensive up front this way.

Anyway what would you guys do? I will be water chilling whatever setup I end up with and benching, gaming heavily w/ multiple monitors.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost55
View Post

go with the dual xeons on the sr2, then upgrade to dual 980x when the price drops or when you get more money

980X isn't dual QPI they won't work with the board. You could only run one of them on the SR2.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts