Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, here I go again.

I traded the VW 411 for a 1999 BMW Z3 2.8 roadster, with the intention of getting it to proper show condition. While the VW was certainly a great show car, I just like the Z3 much more, and felt now was the time to change.

To do list (to be updated):
  • Fix dings, chips and scratches - To be done later, will likely get a full respray.
  • Find and install passsenger seat motors
  • Fix the radio screen - Common fault, should be a bad connection on the screen ribbon.
  • Fix the CD shuttle - Need to get a new CD drive motor. It kind of works, so it's rather low priority.
  • Fix gap between driver door window and ragtop - Will need soft top replacement, one corner was trimmed too short.
  • Window regulators
  • Some minor odds and ends in the interior
  • Refinish a set of engine covers
  • Rear shocks
  • Rear brake pads

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Initial pictures (I'll take some more tomorrow, and edit them in):

It's not much yet, but I started to clean the engine bay. I'm actually suprised how easy it is to clean a more recent engine bay, being used to 30+ year old filth.

Oh, and sorry for the potato pics, I only had my phone with me.

More pictures:

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts
Those wheels...

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you mean the logos?

·
Super Moderator
14,121 Posts
Sorry, but I have to agree. See if you can either get some OEM wheels, or even old BBS LM wheels

nengun-397317-01-bbs-bbs_lmbs_set_of_four_18_inch-83229dd1bd.jpg

I think those will look excellent on the Z3. Even in silver or black.

UHH7rAn.png

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm actually planning to get some BMW 16's. Speaking of which, did they all come with the same rims, or were there different ones for the different engine sizes?

The tyres aren't exactly what I'd like to keep, so I'm going to start looking at scrapyards for "new" wheels soon.

EDIT: I mentioned to the salesman that I'm planning to get some proper 16" wheels, and he said I should contact him if I want him to buy these ones from me. So that might also help me make the switch.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
BBS LMs are STUPIDLY expensive though.

There was a particular mesh design that I think looks pretty good:

http://prussianmotors.com/empower/images/inv_006198.jpg

https://assets.hemmings.com/story_image/585961-1000-0.jpg?rev=2

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT:

By the way, I noticed something odd. I see my car has side airbags, but according to Wikipedia that was only a thing on the facelift models. Does anybody know what's going on there?

·
Super Moderator
14,121 Posts
Don't bother trying to look for BBS LM wheels. I had a look at the price of a used set, and they're more expensive than 2016 Porsche 911 Carrera wheels.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like I said, I'll be going to local scrapyards. There's one place (they know me well by now) that will definitely have something. I just need some suggestions about what to look for.

·
Super Moderator
14,121 Posts
OEM wheels from the time period of the car. There should be some around there, maybe.

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the suggestion. Personally though I'd rather throw extra traction out (not that I'm going to drive like that anyway) and get same width all round, so I can rotate them (due to that sport car camber).

Apart from that though, it's good to also know what they're from (I saw in the ad), as that will certainly help in the search.

EDIT: Oh, and they're not actually perfect. If using narrow/wide then the profiles should differ.

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKuhn View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. Personally though I'd rather throw extra traction out (not that I'm going to drive like that anyway) and get same width all round, so I can rotate them (due to that sport car camber).

Apart from that though, it's good to also know what they're from (I saw in the ad), as that will certainly help in the search.

EDIT: Oh, and they're not actually perfect. If using narrow/wide then the profiles should differ.
Well just get the wheels and put on new tyres when you need to? You can get 225/45/17 for around R2-4k. Personally, I would recommend the Goodyear Eagle F1s for price:performance in that range. If you don't really have a budget, then Michellin Pilot Sport 4S.

Those wheels fit perfectly on the Z3, and look the part too. And aren't as heavy as shabba aftermarket, way stronger, etc.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll get some BMW wheels when I can. These tyres wont last very long anyway (they're good for now though). I just need to get more urgent things done first, but I definitely won't leave it too long.

Also, I'm taking the car for its first wash (my father wants to take his car anyway). This will likely be interesting, considering the ragtop (I already saw one bad seal (above the right door window), I'll tell them to get as little water there as possible).

·
Super Moderator
14,121 Posts
Eagle F1s are pretty good. I was considering getting them at one point for my Volvo.

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKuhn View Post

I'll get some BMW wheels when I can. These tyres wont last very long anyway (they're good for now though). I just need to get more urgent things done first, but I definitely won't leave it too long.

Also, I'm taking the car for its first wash (my father wants to take his car anyway). This will likely be interesting, considering the ragtop (I already saw one bad seal (above the right door window), I'll tell them to get as little water there as possible).
Wash it yourself unless you like scratched paint.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's actually the only car wash I'm comfortable going to. I prefer to wash the cars myself though, when I can. The problem is I only have a small time window when I can do it myself, unless I want water spots. And I tend to be busy at that time.

I noticed a small wet spot on the passenger floor, under the dash. I just have a few things to do first (I may have more free time during the day than many others, but I still have stuff to do), and then I'll look into that, check for further leaks, and take some more pictures.

Oh, and in case you're wondering Alex, I'm not going to give this car the Brasso treatment since I'm not comfortable doing something like that to delicate basecoat/clearcoat paint. I'll give it a wax (and clay if I can get some in time), and apart from that I'll leave actual polishing to the pros.

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts
claybar -> polish -> wax

1 - 20 of 257 Posts