Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be possible that we could put a separate sub-forum until the 24th where we can talk about SOPA? Upon entering you agree that what is said in said sub-forum does not reflect the interest of OCN or any other parent companies. Also disable it from the news feed at the top of the website. This way the only way you can see it is by going down to the sub-forum and agreeing to the temporary TOS.

This is different than the other locked thread because I believe I'm giving a very fair and realistic option that can make everyone happy and not affect OCN in any way politically.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: VoodooKnight

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
Pretty much agreed.

If MLP has not been banned, why should SOPA be?
tongue.gif


EDIT: Why not make a politic sub-forum? It would only be accessed to users and it would have its own TOS. Really, OCN reasons to ban politics are very shallow and illogical. "It's to create a family-friendly atmosphere". Yea right; kids learn more about controversial subjects in 5 minutes while watching TV than spending a week on OCN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This thread has no reason to be locked, this is a simple suggestion that I would want to hear from one of the Admins if this is possible or not. There is no politics in here being mentioned AND I DO NOT WANT IT IN HERE. I DO NOT WANT ANY FOR/AGAINST SOPA TALK HERE
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,338 Posts
I can almost guarantee this will be locked, no matter where it's started.

But before it is, I agree with you. This is a community built on professional standards. No cursing, excessive pictures, etc. Blocking a topic that could effectively destroy many sites should be discussed here. We could be effected more then we realize.

Political or not, mods will see the problem. The few members that couldn't stay on topic would ruin it for the ones who are interested in others opinions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We all have our reasons for/against SOPA. PLEASE keep this discussion about my suggestion and support/oppose my compromise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,030 Posts
OCN is a politically neutral website?
Even if SOPA epically screws over OCN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Politically neutral is in the best interest of this or any website no matter what. I will not ask again, keep this about my suggestion and nothing else. Just a simple "I agree/disagree with this compromise because I think _________ should be added/changed". I really don't want this thread to get locked.

Edit: Also please don't throw punches at OCN. They have given us a lot and we should respect their decision no matter what since it's our privilege to be here.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,000 Posts
Quote:
The few members that couldn't stay on topic would ruin it for the ones who are interested in others opinions.
This is exactly the reason that we're so strict with our 'no politics' policy. It has nothing to do with our ownership (which is independent) and nothing to do with us supporting SOPA or PIPA (which we don't).

We fully recognize that communities like Overclock.net are vulnerable to the stipulations laid out in these bills, and that we could stand to be harmed if either of them were to become law - we support the efforts that many other groups have made, in a much higher-profile way than we ever could, to encourage a targeted effort at ensuring these bills loose their support. To that end, there are a great many other venues in which to discuss and promote anti-SOPA efforts, just as there are a great many other wrongs in the world which need righting - but Overclock.net is not the place to discuss these things. We strive to maintain an environment that is politically and religiously neutral so that anybody from anywhere can feel comfortable coming here to talk overclocking, and lifting rules against political discussion (even if temporary and isolated) aren't conducive to that goal; the discussion inevitably looses its civility and spills out into other sections of the site. We've watched it happen several times over the years.

I hope that the big picture look at things makes a little more sense. It isn't that we're biased against discussion of SOPA and PIPA despite the nature of the content they effect, its just that the two bills are, by their very nature, political items and not for discussion here.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipp View Post

Quote:
The few members that couldn't stay on topic would ruin it for the ones who are interested in others opinions.
This is exactly the reason that we're so strict with our 'no politics' policy. It has nothing to do with our ownership (which is independent) and nothing to do with us supporting SOPA or PIPA (which we don't).
We fully recognize that communities like Overclock.net are vulnerable to the stipulations laid out in these bills, and that we could stand to be harmed if either of them were to become law - we support the efforts that many other groups have made, in a much higher-profile way than we ever could, to encourage a targeted effort at ensuring these bills loose their support. To that end, there are a great many other venues in which to discuss and promote anti-SOPA efforts, just as there are a great many other wrongs in the world which need righting - but Overclock.net is not the place to discuss these things. We strive to maintain an environment that is politically and religiously neutral so that anybody from anywhere can feel comfortable coming here to talk overclocking, and lifting rules against political discussion (even if temporary and isolated) aren't conducive to that goal; the discussion inevitably looses its civility and spills out into other sections of the site. We've watched it happen several times over the years.
Couldn't have said it better.
 

·
How many volts!?
Joined
·
3,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipp View Post

Quote:
The few members that couldn't stay on topic would ruin it for the ones who are interested in others opinions.
This is exactly the reason that we're so strict with our 'no politics' policy. It has nothing to do with our ownership (which is independent) and nothing to do with us supporting SOPA or PIPA (which we don't).
We fully recognize that communities like Overclock.net are vulnerable to the stipulations laid out in these bills, and that we could stand to be harmed if either of them were to become law - we support the efforts that many other groups have made, in a much higher-profile way than we ever could, to encourage a targeted effort at ensuring these bills loose their support. To that end, there are a great many other venues in which to discuss and promote anti-SOPA efforts, just as there are a great many other wrongs in the world which need righting - but Overclock.net is not the place to discuss these things. We strive to maintain an environment that is politically and religiously neutral so that anybody from anywhere can feel comfortable coming here to talk overclocking, and lifting rules against political discussion (even if temporary and isolated) aren't conducive to that goal; the discussion inevitably looses its civility and spills out into other sections of the site. We've watched it happen several times over the years.
I hope that the big picture look at things makes a little more sense. It isn't that we're biased against discussion of SOPA and PIPA despite the nature of the content they effect, its just that the two bills are, by their very nature, political items and not for discussion here.
Very well said.

While I agree with OP on the compromise, this just makes sense and it's out of the respect of not only the staff but members as well.

Chipp, you should run for president. xD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Chipp, I appreciate you clarifying your stance on this and if you think it's best for Overclock.net then I respect that. The fact that you have seen the politics spew into other parts of forums before is more evidence than I (or anyone else) can prove of a type of isolation that works. Neither I or probably nobody else could find a working example of this other than going to another forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,227 Posts
Maybe when SOPA passes and OCN gets blacklisted we can talk... until then they'll probably remain neutral on such insignificant topics. /sarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCrap View Post

SOPA FTW.
hopefully a troll

EDIT: Chipp, and other Federales de OCN, why not just let people be idiots in a single board and purge it when SOPA/PIPA get passed or denied? They're colossal pieces of legislation that affect every user of OCN and OCN itself. Blocking it from discussion is as bad as supporting it, as you say the site doesn't. Muzzling the voice stifles the cause and ultimately each and every staff member could be dragged to court one day if it gets passed and some company has a problem with OCN.

EDIT: removed the last part as I can't find the articles of a couple sites that had it happen.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post

This thread has no reason to be locked, this is a simple suggestion that I would want to hear from one of the Admins if this is possible or not. There is no politics in here being mentioned AND I DO NOT WANT IT IN HERE. I DO NOT WANT ANY FOR/AGAINST SOPA TALK HERE
Perhaps a better medium for this would be to ask an Admin/Mod in a PM rather than start yet another thread that may or may not be deleted/locked.

I agree that this is an important topic, and that people should discuss it and be aware of it, but not here. Its been made very clear by Mods here that the whole SOPA debate, or anything else that may be politically driven, may not be discussed on OCN. It is against the TOS, as this forum is not the place for political discussions. I have read more than one thread suggesting the benefit of talking about said topic, and time and time again I have read the same responses.

Unless the TOS is changed(which will not happen in this capacity), any kind of political discussion, or any topic that may lead to such a discussion is strictly prohibited. Please remember that there are positives to this stance, and that the time of the people that run this site is valuable. They have lives too, and spending countless hours cleaning up after a disaster that could ensue from such a topic would be a constant, and massive waste of time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post

Thank you Chipp, I appreciate you clarifying your stance on this and if you think it's best for Overclock.net then I respect that. The fact that you have seen the politics spew into other parts of forums before is more evidence than I (or anyone else) can prove of a type of isolation that works. Neither I or probably nobody else could find a working example of this other than going to another forum.
But other forums suck!
tongue.gif


I do agree with your OP though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipp View Post

Quote:
The few members that couldn't stay on topic would ruin it for the ones who are interested in others opinions.
This is exactly the reason that we're so strict with our 'no politics' policy. It has nothing to do with our ownership (which is independent) and nothing to do with us supporting SOPA or PIPA (which we don't).
We fully recognize that communities like Overclock.net are vulnerable to the stipulations laid out in these bills, and that we could stand to be harmed if either of them were to become law - we support the efforts that many other groups have made, in a much higher-profile way than we ever could, to encourage a targeted effort at ensuring these bills loose their support. To that end, there are a great many other venues in which to discuss and promote anti-SOPA efforts, just as there are a great many other wrongs in the world which need righting - but Overclock.net is not the place to discuss these things. We strive to maintain an environment that is politically and religiously neutral so that anybody from anywhere can feel comfortable coming here to talk overclocking, and lifting rules against political discussion (even if temporary and isolated) aren't conducive to that goal; the discussion inevitably looses its civility and spills out into other sections of the site. We've watched it happen several times over the years.
I hope that the big picture look at things makes a little more sense. It isn't that we're biased against discussion of SOPA and PIPA despite the nature of the content they effect, its just that the two bills are, by their very nature, political items and not for discussion here.
%100 agreed, well said
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,965 Posts
I pretty much expected the type of response that we got from Chipp

umm SOPA means Soup in spanish lol

I don't like soup cus It reminds me of being sick
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top