Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me know if you guys think this is a good set up for a noob. I'm being guided by my research and the guys putting this together.

AMD 64 X2 3800+
Asus A8N-sli MB
OCZ Premium DDR3200 1G Dual Channel Ram
GIgabyte Arora Case
eVGA 7800GT 256MB
Maxtor 200GB 16MB SATA H.D
Western Digital Raptor 36g
OCZ Modstream 520w PSU
XP Pro

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Nice set up...
Just curious as to the HD combo.
Have you considered a pair of HDs for RAID0 ... a pair of nice 80g will work very well in RAID0 and cost about the same as the Raptoir you are considering.
BTW... I have the 36g Raptor... very nice drive but the 74G is a better built with fluid bearings vs the 36's ball bearings

BTW... this should be either in the AMD Bulid Logs or General... let me know hwere you want it and I'll move it for you

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appeciate the quick reply, I'll ask the guys at my local store that is putting it together about that. I hate being a real noob to this and not knowing the right and best way to go. I'll check back in after work tomorrow after I talk to them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Keep in mind by going raid0 if ONE of those drives fails, you loose them both logically.

Obviously if one of the them physically fails, the other isn't physically failed either but the partition and file system are gone and so you will have to start all over again when you get your replacement drive.

Since you are a self proclaimed noob, I feel it is my duty to tell you the other side of raid 0.

Since I am a computer guy by day, I've been trained to trust no drive so please excuse my pessimism in raid0.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts