Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know theyve gotten a lot of flak for it and deservedly so. By no means do I support this draconian new DRM in any way. But apart from curbing piracy there might be another motive behind the new DRM.

Due to the unfortunate leak incident with the highly anticipated AC1. Ubisoft were never able to get a fair estimate of The market size for the PC segment of the game. This measure will give them an estimate of the total market size and potential for the game/Genre. This is based on a few assumptions namely:

1.) There were some People who would have bought the game but pirated it due to impatience and never got around to actually buying it.
2.)The number of gamers that will boycott the game in protest against the DRM will be negligible compared to the total market size.

Would really appreciate your take on this train of thought. Thanks.

P.S.: I know this sounds like a trolling thread but I assure you of honest intentions

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I bought the game, then I cracked it. I'm not going to suffer through ******ed DRM schemes, but I won't steal someone hard work either.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by T1nk3rb311 View Post
I bought the game, then I cracked it. I'm not going to suffer through ******ed DRM schemes, but I won't steal someone hard work either.
From my understanding your among a good amount of people who took this approach.

Honestly, if they want market shares, go look at how many copies sold on steam.

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by T1nk3rb311
View Post

There is a crack for it now? A friend of mine bought it and I checked like yesterday for a crack and didn't find one.
BTW don't post links to it. If you have it PM me. I want to buy this game as well and I won't do so without a working crack.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurei
View Post

1.) There were some People who would have bought the game but pirated it due to impatience and never got around to actually buying it.

"negligible compared to the total market size"

Quote:

2.)The number of gamers that will boycott the game in protest against the DRM will be

Higher than you seem to think. This is a serious issue, and gamers old enough to think for themselves and take a principled stand represent a significant segment of the non-casual PC gaming population.

The children of the 80's now have jobs and can buy whatever PC components and games they choose.

It is immature to know an action is wrong and then do it anyway. Voting with your dollars to promote this kind of DRM is wrong, and only the very young and the very ignorant will do so - and the very young tend to play on consoles.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your opinions. Anyhow My copy arrives today. Whether it'll work or not, who knows... but I did buy AC1 and now AC2. If I am experiencing serious online issues I'll use the DRM crack when it becomes available.
Also I don't think the US price tag is justified. $ 60 is too much for a game with 10 hours of game-play in it.

Its retailing for about a 3rd of that here in India so I'm not complaining....

http://nextworld.in/Product.aspx?sku=SW3403

1 U.S. dollar = 45.4091363 Indian rupees
=>999 Indian rupees = 21.999978 U.S. dollars
(as of today)
I'm so happy

·
Premium Member
22,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by willis888 View Post
"negligible compared to the total market size"

Higher than you seem to think. This is a serious issue, and gamers old enough to think for themselves and take a principled stand represent a significant segment of the non-casual PC gaming population.

The children of the 80's now have jobs and can buy whatever PC components and games they choose.

It is immature to know an action is wrong and then do it anyway. Voting with your dollars to promote this kind of DRM is wrong, and only the very young and the very ignorant will do so - and the very young tend to play on consoles.
Modern Warfare 2 proved the boycotters have literally no effect on the games sales in the slightest.

·
Premium Member
22,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ablearcher View Post
* for the console versions
The PC versions also. Everyone said they were going to boycott it, but the people who would have normally bought it still did. The people who would have downloaded it in the first place did then try to justify it with the boycott.

Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been paying attention to the stats.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy9000
View Post

The PC versions also. Everyone said they were going to boycott it, but the people who would have normally bought it still did. The people who would have downloaded it in the first place did then try to justify it with the boycott.

If the game wasn't gimped. At least 3 of my friends and myself would have happily bought it (Like we were planning to).

Sure the sales were fine and whatnot. But who's to say it wouldn't have sold double if they had of released a complete PC experience.

There is no definitive proof that the boycott did or did not have an effect on sales. All I know is that I didn't buy the game, because I did not like the direction they took.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tehrawk
View Post

If the game wasn't gimped. At least 3 of my friends and myself would have happily bought it (Like we were planning to).

Sure the sales were fine and whatnot. But who's to say it wouldn't have sold double if they had of released a complete PC experience.

There is no definitive proof that the boycott did or did not have an effect on sales. All I know is that I didn't buy the game, because I did not like the direction they took.

I agree. PC games sales have done really well in the last year out here with Studios paying more attention to purchasing power parity and pricing games at a point where the Gamer can afford it. But still people are leaning towards consoles more and more because its becoming a habit of curbing the experience on the PC in some form or the other.

But the question is very relevant. how does one prove definitely to studios that 1 less pirated copy used is not equal to one lost sale?

Or

What percentage of gamers are boycotting the game due to DRM.

Small Idea: Online retailers such as steam etc can have a boycott tag attached to the Game if they feel it is relevant.

So we have Buy, Add to wish list, boycott options in the menu.

·
Melted Cheese
4,186 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by willis888
View Post

This is exactly how I feel. The Settlers 7 lost my sale a couple of my friends are not buying it now because of me as well. I hope it hurts them... I really do.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurei
View Post

Small Idea: Online retailers such as steam etc can have a boycott tag attached to the Game if they feel it is relevant.

So we have Buy, Add to wish list, boycott options in the menu.

While that is a sound idea in theory. We will end up with a situation like we see in this image.

It just leaves the issue open to all the news sites posting "Boycott LOL"

I really had an issue with those news stories in particular. I mean, if you think about it. Modern Warfare 2 was "THE" game of the year. A lot of the other big releases got pushed back because of it. There was no other significant game released. And the picture was taken just after the release of the game. What did they expect people to be playing. It is not exactly difficult to join such a group.

I was so looking forward to playing some coop Splinter Cell. But I can just as easily pass on it.

Edit:- I guess with what you are proposing, a persons status would change once they actually bought the game. So yeah I can see that working. I just wish it wasn't necessary.

·
Banned
3,369 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy9000
View Post

MW2 is the only major FPS I haven't bought in the past ~15 years. But most people did give into the hype, you're correct.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tehrawk
View Post

Edit:- I guess with what you are proposing, a persons status would change once they actually bought the game. So yeah I can see that working. I just wish it wasn't necessary.

Precisely. This would give a more accurate result of the percentage of sales lost in Digital distribution. Then The result can be extrapolated to get a fairer estimate of the whole circuit.

·
Melted Cheese
4,186 Posts
Wow.. that MW2 boycott screen is ridiculous.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[Update]

My copy came in and i've positively had no in game issues with the DRM. Game launcher sometimes gives me trouble but that's about it. Just wanted to keep the forum updated. The game itself however did glitch on me. I was happily jumping around when I fell through everything, buildings, the floor, other ppl and into a water body. I can see ppl walking above me and can't get out. Freaky bug... swam around for a bit feeling like a gator in the sewer and then quit out of the game and restarted. Worked fine from thereon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts