Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here's where I spend 11 hours a day doing magic with wood and cables....

Set up kind of a nice shop in an 8 x 20 cargo container--this shot is from tonight after applying mica all day--I am a little gassed to say the least...

Been making some interesting pyramid-shape moldings using a router jig I devised that runs on racks.

I mocked them up and got my jig set up on plywood blanks...

That is the posh scalloped molding I will be reproducing for my TV lift cabinetry.

Earlier I had made some pull-out racks for multiple amps and other equipment in the Owner's Stateroom--black mica boxes to house 9u rack rails. Everything needs to be accesible and rapidly removable--so they took a little designing to make work.

Here's one stuffed full of top end Amps and stuff I can't even explain...

They go in this TV cabinet in the owners room. Right about where this AV guy's butt is sticking out...

I will be installing a lift in the cabinet currently inhabitted by Young Mike.

The electronics and cabling wizards at work...they are soldering literally thousands of connectors onto thousands of leads and connecting them to hundreds of patch boxes and routers....

Lots of attention to details here...a lot like PC modding--but on a vast scale.

Vast...as in miles of Cat5, dozens of servers, hundreds of routers....

·
Banned
2,177 Posts
Wow.... :shocked thats nuts! what a sweet boat and what a sweet AV setup, but what are all of those cables for? like what purpose on the boat?

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The boat is a 252' Denship (Made in Denmark) that is privately owned. It is a giant toy filled with extremely complex equipment that allows a simple touchscreen interface in hundreds of locations control the audio, video, climate, lighting, sun shades and other stuff I don't even know about. Each and every location can have it's lighting, AV, climate tailored by a touchscreen called an LEC. The LEC is networked to the MEC which is that room the guys were running their cables in. The MEC is like a sophisticated media center/router room that is in contact with the numerous networked standalone Media controllers called Anthems. An Anthem can control multiple monitors and speakers in 8.2 surround with all the latest Dolby and all the bells and whistles. All through the yacht speakers are linked to the amps that are controlled by the anthems that are fed by the MEC that are controlled by signals from the LECs.

Not to mention the fire system, the intercom, the cameras, the security system, the various telemetric devices, the navigation gear and then all the much more serious power and control cabling from the helm. It is really an incredibly complex $80 million dollar playgroud for one incredibly wealthy individual.

Built in 2003 the Princess Mariana has seen about ten days of cruising and is now undergoing a major systems upgrade and shakedown to implement a much more integrated control system.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Impressive as hell, 'Druid! Makes me very jealous... I'd kill to have a job applying that kind of skill & technique.

Much respect, my man, much respect.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Global Ship Systems? I have heard that she suffers from poor engine room ventilation as well...the glass walkway doesn't help.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the one. The engineers are going ape ATM. 4 Stabilizers being mounted--and it is not exactly racing along. The painters are having poor results too. Considering the December 15th deadline....she is in sad shape.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyway--I am having a good time--ankle deep in sawdust...

Here's the base of the rack for the router jig--I trap the stock in between the gears and lay the top onto it and rout my scallops and pyramids...tedious..but it gets the job done...

I could definitely do some PC modding in here...Hmmmmm.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
December 15th? Thats a tad steeper than I recall! They're in deep yogurt!

And I didn't mean to hijack your thread :-\\

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bentrinh
View Post

Does it run Windows?

Yes actually--which might explain for the delays....

Yes Witchfire that is she.

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
So what exactly do you do there? Build them stuff?

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid
View Post

Yes actually--which might explain for the delays....

Yes Witchfire that is she.

ahah that's so photoshoppped..it's not even straight...lol. (or maybe something's screwedu p?

Druid you're my hero. that's an amazing job.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421
View Post

December 15th? Thats a tad steeper than I recall! They're in deep yogurt!

And I didn't mean to hijack your thread :-\\

Well I know you are into the scene...I am just a hired gun--there for a very specific purpose--to make 3 beautiful TV cabinets and install 3 Inca lifts on 3 42" TVs... no biggy. But it's a nice gig. Actually I have done a fair number of other tasks and projects and will no doubt be involved in a vast number more--but IMO the thing I can do that no one else can should be the primary task--so it is a main focus ATM.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
She's listed as a 258 footer in the specs... was there a major engineering change applied to her that shortened her?

BTW, who's the lucky individual who calls this floating palace his own?

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can't say--I guess I better start calling her a 258 footer just in case...LOL--I was going from what my M8 Peter told me--he might have forgotten...

I did score some nice steel shelves that look just like classic modders mesh (perfed) and they are about 17" x 18" and coated in epoxy enamel gloss white--perfect finish. I scored 14 of them--which is enough to make 3 Crunch Boxes large enough for ATX mobos and Real videoCards...and being all mesh they would breathe well--and being white any lighting would like trick.

So much stuff is getting tossed in this refit it is sickening--the lifts I removed to make way for the Inca lifts are ten times better engineered than the Incas (Danish!) but for some reason they are now trash. So I took the rack gears and made router jigs LOL...from thousands of dollars of lift parts..Ha!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
thanks alot for sharing your pics CD

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
I know why the ship is listed 6' longer, tale has it you were perched on the bow when they measured it

Amazing, but from you I expect no less

1 - 20 of 89 Posts