Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up people?

I am getting a new system soon (2 weeks-ish) and I was pondering on the significance of a DX10 card now. DX10 is initially here, but it isn't really being utilized. I was pondering on getting a sort of "hold-over" card until DX10 comes into full effect. 8800GTX's are about $640 US Dollars, and I have some insider info that the price should be dropping significantly within the next few months, which is also swaying my decision to buy DX10 now.

What I am thinking of getting:

eVGA 7950GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 Superclocked Video Card

I know I have some people I can sell this card to in a few months and/or put this in another box, so it shouldn't be a waste.

What do you think? Go with this or something less to tie me over until DX10? Thanks for your input!


P.S., will be run on:

E6600 (Overclocked, of course)
680i motherboard
Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicfission92 View Post
Where do you get this info from?


Anyways, that card would hold you over nicely if you want to wait for a DX10 card.
I can't give you cold hard proof, but I have a friend that makes chips (literally) out in silicon valley for some big companies and that Is what he told me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,806 Posts
You might wanna get a cheaper card?
A 7900GS is 140$ in newegg, and can hold you off 6 months.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drax View Post
Whats up people?

I am getting a new system soon (2 weeks-ish) and I was pondering on the significance of a DX10 card now. DX10 is initially here, but it isn't really being utilized. I was pondering on getting a sort of "hold-over" card until DX10 comes into full effect. 8800GTX's are about $640 US Dollars, and I have some insider info that the price should be dropping significantly within the next few months, which is also swaying my decision to buy DX10 now.

What I am thinking of getting:

eVGA 7950GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 Superclocked Video Card

I know I have some people I can sell this card to in a few months and/or put this in another box, so it shouldn't be a waste.

What do you think? Go with this or something less to tie me over until DX10? Thanks for your input!


P.S., will be run on:

E6600 (Overclocked, of course)
680i motherboard
Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066
EVGA does have a Step-Up program. You can trade in your card for a new one by paying the MSRP price difference. You have 90 days after purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,806 Posts
90 day is very little time to get money, and he might wanna get a 8900 model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,845 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
90 day is very little time to get money, and he might wanna get a 8900 model.
doubt he would, he doesn't want to spend the current price of a 8800 card...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by splat00n View Post
doubt he would, he doesn't want to spend the current price of a 8800 card...
I would.

I am probably going to buy in late 07, so whatever is the best then will probably be what I get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,806 Posts
The i sugest the 7900GS now, wich screen will it be running on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
I'd personally wait on the direct X 10 cards. after all, besides vista, what's going to be using direct x10 right away? um, nothing. Now, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but I haven't heard of any direct x 10 games being released soon.
I'm thinking it's going to be next xmas before we start seeing a bunch of direct x 10 capable games.
That's why i'd wait on the card until there's some choices out there. No point in buying a card now when you won't be using those capabilities for a bit.

this is, of course, my opinion. Doesn't mean it's right, or wrong, it's just a conclusion I came to based on my experiences, thoughts, and knowledge, and probably some guessing also. =)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,947 Posts
I find my 6800GS churning out good frame rates on high quality games....I don't see a reason to go over a 7900GS, unless you <3 8AA and 16AF at very high resolutions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyder View Post
I'd personally wait on the direct X 10 cards. after all, besides vista, what's going to be using direct x10 right away? um, nothing. Now, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but I haven't heard of any direct x 10 games being released soon.
I'm thinking it's going to be next xmas before we start seeing a bunch of direct x 10 capable games.
That's why i'd wait on the card until there's some choices out there. No point in buying a card now when you won't be using those capabilities for a bit.

this is, of course, my opinion. Doesn't mean it's right, or wrong, it's just a conclusion I came to based on my experiences, thoughts, and knowledge, and probably some guessing also. =)
Except for Crysis, UT2007, FSX (a patch is being released to support DX10), and a crapload of other awesome-looking games.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,674 Posts
Banned
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicfission92 View Post
Where do you get this info from?


Anyways, that card would hold you over nicely if you want to wait for a DX10 card.
You don't need proof. Christmas is almost here and we're talkin about electronics here. Prices always drop after christmas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by nyder
View Post

I'd personally wait on the direct X 10 cards. after all, besides vista, what's going to be using direct x10 right away? um, nothing. Now, I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but I haven't heard of any direct x 10 games being released soon.
I'm thinking it's going to be next xmas before we start seeing a bunch of direct x 10 capable games.
That's why i'd wait on the card until there's some choices out there. No point in buying a card now when you won't be using those capabilities for a bit.

this is, of course, my opinion. Doesn't mean it's right, or wrong, it's just a conclusion I came to based on my experiences, thoughts, and knowledge, and probably some guessing also. =)

Flight Simulator X is out now with DX10
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top