Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Sorry I've posted a few threads already, but I'm really interested in folding, but the app has been saying [email protected] Working: 0/1500 for about 5 mins. does it usually take that long? And I heard if you fold, you'll elect. bill will go up, is that true? And will it go up over about $20 a month?

And Do I have to be connected to the internet the whole time my system is work, and if I accidently lose power, or shut down my pc, will I loose all my work, or does it start from where it ended? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
the application usually will save it's work ever % or so.

the SMP client on my rig takes around 10-15 minutes for ever 1% or so, usually on Work Unit (WU) will take a little over a day.

and you will need to be connected to the internet to send the results, afaik, you do not need to be after a WU has been downloaded.

and when you close the program it will simply save where it is and quit, restarting the program will make it resume at that last save point

also, for the power bill, if you fold on both your cpu and gpu 24/7 and both are under 100% load i'd say your power bill would go up by $15-$25 depending on where you live.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Your electricity bill will only go up very slightly from letting your computer sit idle to folding 24/7, at most I would say $10-15. Also, as for loosing progress, the client will automatically create checkpoints every so often, so no you wont loose all your progress.

·
Banned
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Millillion
View Post

Your electricity bill will only go up very slightly from letting your computer sit idle to folding 24/7, at most I would say $10-15. Also, as for loosing progress, the client will automatically create checkpoints every so often, so no you wont loose all your progress.

so once it downloads and starts working, I can disconnect? I am not gonna actually disconnect but I'm a online gamer, and I dont want it lagging all day, but if it stops using the internet that'll be ok.

Also I see some mems have a folding rank or something under their name, how do I get that?

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hack Attack View Post
so once it downloads and starts working, I can disconnect? I am not gonna actually disconnect but I'm a online gamer, and I dont want it lagging all day, but if it stops using the internet that'll be ok.

Also I see some mems have a folding rank or something under their name, how do I get that?
I have only noticed a very slight slow down when the client is sending in finished work units and downloading new ones. As for the folding rank, read this thread:
http://www.overclock.net/overclock-n...-post-1-a.html

·
Banned
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also I'm gonna be paying $15-20 more a month, so what do I get for folding, and wasting my cpu for stanford? do they send gifts or anything?

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Quote:

also I'm gonna be paying $15-20 more a month, so what do I get for folding, and wasting my cpu for stanford? do they send gifts or anything?
Think of it like donating clothes to the needy, or like working for a cure for cancer.

EDIT: That's at least what I take home from it, right now I have several systems folding and they are all ATI - which for folding isn't the best route. I plan on doing what Mort did and build a dedicated folder with 4x8800GS's on it. Then just stash it in the garage where I don't care if it heats it up. But all in all it's really just a hope, getting everything to work correctly for 48 hours is a victory prize in itself.

·
Banned
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpm666 View Post
Think of it like donating clothes to the needy, or like working for a cure for cancer.
Hmm, sounds like I'm paying over $150 more a month, and using my poor little cpu to work for a freekin college that I'm not even gonna goto. Sounds wonderful!
Lol jk, but yeah I'll think of it as donating.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Quote:

if your curious at why a lot of us are so dedicated to folding, click on the quote by enterprise in my sig and just read his post.
search through the folding section for a thread called "why do you fold"
i guarantee that a lot of it is quite moving.
personally, i have no direct reason to be folding at this very moment, but i know it's results could effect family, friends, or even myself in the future.

happy folding

1 - 9 of 9 Posts