Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i watched a vid awhile back about a GTX 460 and a 980x running as the physX. i was wondering if like the i7 950 would run pretty close to the same or enough to be able to run it on high i would be overclocking it and such my AMD 955 really does not like to do physX at 4gh'z so im thinking of coming over to intel
thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
No, software PhysX on the CPU, even an i7, is really slow, and I'm not sure most games would even let you select HIGH with software PhysX.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I believe it's entirely up to the game developer.
You can run the high physX in mafia2 by CPU, but it's slow because it was written to run on the CUDA core. It's not the CPU is not fast enough, but the codes were not meant to run on CPU. They could, but make it this way for the obvious reason of profit.
But the gameplay is the same.
Game like Batman reserves specific physX effects for CUDA cores only. So u will have a rather different gameplay.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
PhysX runs decent on the CPU in Mafia because the developer decided not to be a douche and screw half of their consumer base (ATi customers) out of PhysX effects by using the GPU for all effects. Additionally, but running effects on the CPU, the physics for those effects can actually be used to affect gameplay if needed (which cannot be done with effects done on the GPU).

There is no reason that physics needs to be done on a GPU, it simply doesn't use that much power. Havok runs just fine on the CPU.

Ugh, I end up in PhysX threads at least once a week. It seems like a difficult concept to keep explaining to everyone at OCN. I think I may consider programming up some Havok/PhysX demos and comparisons someday. Then I can record CPU utilization in each demo, and show how powerful CPU physics can be.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by andynolife
View Post

I believe it's entirely up to the game developer.
You can run the high physX in mafia2 by CPU, but it's slow because it was written to run on the CUDA core. It's not the CPU is not fast enough, but the codes were not meant to run on CPU. They could, but make it this way for the obvious reason of profit.
But the gameplay is the same.
Game like Batman reserves specific physX effects for CUDA cores only. So u will have a rather different gameplay.

so explain to me why hes getting such good FPS with his cpu running physX?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts