Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm pleased to announce that I'm interested in purchasing one (or more) CaseLabs cases but I have a few questions before I do so. At the moment, I am primarily focusing on the Mercury S8 (quick ship) model. This will be my first CaseLabs case and my main rig has resided in a Corsair 800D to date, so I want to ensure I'm making informed choices on model and configuration.

For background, when I get my new CaseLabs case I will be upgrading my existing X58 rig to Haswell-E parts I already possess - Core i7 5960X, Rampage V Extreme, 16GB DDR4, AMD 290X, 1-2 SSDs, 2-3 HDDs . I have a Swiftech H220-X all ready so I'll likely use that to cool my processor for now, but I am considering stepping up to a custom loop. I will probably at most build a 2 loop system (ie one primarily for CPU, one primarily for GPUs) and I'll likely not be using more than 2 GPUs maximum for standard usage, but I do intend to get the most out of overclocking and will look for high end equipment in general.

First I'd like to know if the Mercury S8 is scheduled for a "refresh" in early 2016? The CL reps have been helpfully letting the community know about the upcoming "Goliath" and that certain cases are scheduled for retirement, so I was wondering if there was a comparable "update" or a similar case about to launch? Does it sound like the S8 will give me room to grow and versatility or is there something else that should be weighed in the mix? For instance, I thought of the STH10 and TH10A, but figured that much of the space might be going to waste without truly huge builds. Likewise, is the horizontal mounting of the S8 or the general setup of the case advantageous in terms of thermals or other versatility?

Next, I am wondering about the options for the Top Chassis Mount. For Drop-In Radiator mounts, is it possible/advisable to buy a longer mount even if you have a shorter radiator? That is to say, to pick the 2x 120.3 mount even if you only plan to use a 120.2 radiator on it to start with, allowing for later upgrades? Or is there a reason to take the 2x 120.2/140.2 instead? Likewise, for any of these drop-in rad mounts (or for that matter, the optional 120.3 in the left bottom compartment), is it feasible to mount standard fans in areas that you won't need for rads, currently? For instance, I don't expect to be using both top mounts immediately, so could I use one to mount fans? Or is there another, more advisable mounting location under the 36mm Extended Top itself (note - thanks to including this in quickship!).

Finally, I am wondering if CaseLabs is planning on making a "NAS/mini-server" style case in 2016? Or would you advise building something like that in a Nova X2M or Mercury S3/S5?

Any other tips or ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeos View Post

Hello everyone. I'm pleased to announce that I'm interested in purchasing one (or more) CaseLabs cases.
Good decision!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeos
Finally, I am wondering if CaseLabs is planning on making a "NAS/mini-server" style case in 2016? Or would you advise building something like that in a Nova X2M or Mercury S3/S5?
Not sure on the other parts you mentioned, but I would definitely call the X2M their NAS / server build. Check this post for a comparison of some of their cases.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh thank you for that comparison! I can definitely see how the X2M is a suitable NAS case, especially with a few FlexBay HDD racks. I guess my only query would be if there would be enough ports/slots and whatnot for a NAS (or perhaps moreso for general server duties) with an mITX board.

The comparison also showed that the S8 is perhaps not as huge as I was picturing it, but maybe that isn't an issue. I'm really only familiar with "traditional" full towers/super tower, so space and utilization with a horizontal motherboard orientation etc.. may still give it more usable room than my Corsair 800D.

Anyone who can weigh in on what I've discussed, please feel free to do so. Thanks again!

Edit: A further S8 (Quick ship) question..

When it comes to the Lower Left Chamber, I see there are three options: 1 HDD cage, 2 HDD cages, and a 120.3 Side Mount. First, if a user doesn't choose the 120.3 Side Mount, what cooling opportunities are there for that area. I expect especially having HDD cages there, cooling will be helpful but maybe there is already sufficient mounts? Also, can you fit he HDD cages and the 120.3 Side Mount in the compartment? Anything else I should know?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Cooling in the drive bay is handled by the 120mm fan hole on the rear panel. Unfortunately, the HDD cages and 120.3 rad mount won't fit in together. You can still add the extra ventilation by using the window + vented side panel, but the rad mount is needed even if you just want fans blowing in.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hello Xaeos,

I own both an S8 and an X2M so can answer some of your questions from experience.

I do not expect a refresh of the S8 any time soon as it is a relatively young case for CaseLabs. It is broad so make sure you are well aware of the space it will take up on your desk or bench.

I use mine with an ATX board, a 4770K processor and a single 780ti and I find that just a pair of 360 rads in the roof are more than enough cooling for that lot. I overclock the processor and GPU plus I have the waterblock kit for my motherboard. You will find that window plus ventilation for the sides lends itself well to displaying the innards and having the dual radiator drop in mount on the top is very convenient for a pair of 360s. Remember the extended top if you want push and pull. Yes you can fit shorter rads up there and replace them later.

I have the dual 360s in push and pull as well as a pair of 120mm fans in the front left and a single 120mm in the rear. I have no fans in my HDD bay as it is practically empty. I have two SSDs under the stealth tray and a single HDD in the HDD bay all on its own.

I cannot recommend an Aquaero enough (you will need the "non-conforming 5.25" flex bay mount") as it allows me to split my fans into channels. I have the "case" and "push" channels on all the time on a ramp starting at 40% PWM. I have the "pull" fans on a separate channel only coming on once the delta between water and air temps reaches 10C. This means that when I am browsing, only the push and case fans are on. As I play a game, those fans speed up to about 60% until 10C delta when the pull fans add their effort and even after a few hours of gaming out everything settles at 12C maximum delta. You can create these virtual temperature sensors on the Aquaero by having a water sensor near your pump and an air sensor on an intake somewhere (I have mine between the front left intake and the front case panel). The Aquaero does the rest.

I would say that 2x360 rads in push/pull is much more cooling than I need. It supports a 4770K at 4.5GHz and a 780ti at 1278/7800 and the water idles at 4C over ambient and games at 12C over ambient.

As for the X2M, yes it is perfect for a NAS up to 8 HDD. I use unRAID and have 6x WD 4TB Reds in mine on a Gigabyte H97N-WIFI as it has 6x SATA ports. I have an Intel i3 4160 and it barely breaks a sweat (about 25% utilisation when running a Parity check). It is a comfortable case to do an air-cooled NAS build and supports proper tower air coolers such as the NH-U12S.

Here is my X2M build... http://www.overclock.net/t/1507210/caselabs-announces-the-nova-x2m-x2-x5-on-hold-indefinitely/1200_30#post_24151756

1 - 5 of 5 Posts