Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a common question but I want to make sure I get right board.
I have a ecs pt880 pro now and I cant get my video to work right, I think its a compatibility problem or its just a bad board so Im trying to get a refund on the board.
I need some help with selecting a new mobo, compatibility, quality, just some good advice.
My specs:
Intel P4 560 HT
LGA775 Prescott
90nm 3.6ghz
family=f model=3 stepping=4 revision=DO
ddr2 1gbx2 PC5300 dual channel
Western Digital`s 7200-RPM SATA/150 EIDE hard drive
evaga 7800 gt PCI-E
I would appreciate any help you can give me.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
I have a few questions to better assess your needs -

- What's your approximate budget? There's a major price difference between lower end and high end S775 motherboards.
- Do you plan on overclocking? If so, do you want to squeeze every bit of performance out of your system, or are you just going to tweak things a bit?
- Do you foresee a CPU upgrade in the reasonable future?
- Does the potential for SLi hold any interest to you?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your time.
-I would like to stay under 200-250$ but its not that big a prob(Iwant quality)
-I am new to overclocking but am very intrested, I think I will want to push the system once I learn.
-I probably wont up grade for a little while but ya never know.
-Yes I would like to set up sli in the near future.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
For SLi, something like this would work well for you. Personally, I don't find SLi (or CrossFire for that matter) to be a good value. Sure, it gives the best performance out there, but the increase over a single high end GPU isn't enough to warrant the expense of a second GPU. That's just my opinion, though; many people would swear by it.

If you don't go SLi, this mobo is great, and this one is even better.

I have read that there have been some issues with overclocking the nf4 chipset, but I don't have any personal experience with them. Both of the non-SLi boards linked above are overclocking monsters.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your time today, you have helped a lot. I have looked at these boards and read about them but there's so much to learn and know I didn't want to make a bad choice, or end up with something not working.
I tend to agree with you on the sli, besides less to go wrong,
so now I just have 2 to choose from.

Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts