Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys im just wondering is a fx 8320 good for video editing with sony vegas and i have this board GA-970A-UD3

·
AMD Fangirl
1,658 Posts
Yes. The AMD octacores excel at multithreaded multimedia processing.

·
AMD Fangirl
1,658 Posts
Yes.

·
AMD Fangirl
1,658 Posts
At the time bulldozer was released, almost all games were single threaded. Bulldozer's single threaded performance was quite bad.

Games are much more threaded now, and new ones will be more so. All modern video editing software is already highly threaded.

Therefore, any multi core CPU will do well at it, including the 6100. But you might as well get an octacore.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so any of these chocies will be good 8120- 6100-x6 1055t would be good for video editing with sony vegas

·
AMD Fangirl
1,658 Posts

·
AMD Fangirl
1,658 Posts
^ That should do well

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea but when i use my gpu the cpu usage it all aways at 1005 and it takes an hour to render a 30min ( i have a x4 945 right now but i wanted to upgrade my cpu to 6 or 8core

·
Registered
666 Posts
The more cores the better in this instance. I use Sony Vegas on a weekly basis ( along with Adobe AE CS5 & CS6 ) and i can tell you that vegas loves multicore cpu's so more is better.

I have used a FX8350 specifically for rendering and i can tell you the performance is pretty good for the $$$£££, of course a six core like a used Phenom II or FX6XXX will also improve render times. But as you know it is not all down to just cpu power but sensible choices in output settings.

The gpu will help but only as far as the preview not in terms of final rendering. Your HD7870 will serve you fine without question.

At the moment 30 minute videos are rendering in around 1 to 1 ratio ( on my rig below ) so ( 30 minute footage = 30-34minutes render @ 720 4.8Mbp/s ). If i recall my old AMD 8350 rig would perform pretty close to this give or take 10-20%.

Hope this helps any questions im happy to help
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea it did help yea im thinking about getting a fx 6100 for cheap and use my gpu at the same time to render videos and because my four core doesnt cut it

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitz9417 View Post

yea it did help yea im thinking about getting a fx 6100 for cheap and use my gpu at the same time to render videos and because my four core doesnt cut it
what quadcore are you using right now for rendering?

I dont use Sony Vegas, but I ran some tests with Adobe After Effects when I got my FX6100.
At 4.2Ghz it beats my i5-2310 in rendering, even though the i5 had better IPC.
If your main purpose is rendering everyday, get an FX 8 or 6core and a good cpu cooler.
Another cheap option would be to look for a used i7 2600K.

If you will be gaming half of the time, and only do video editing once in awhile, better get an i5 3570K or 4670K.
They run cooler, and have better IPC for games with poor multi-threading.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by edalbkrad View Post

what quadcore are you using right now for rendering?

I dont use Sony Vegas, but I ran some tests with Adobe After Effects when I got my FX6100.
At 4.2Ghz it beats my i5-2310 in rendering, even though the i5 had better IPC.
If your main purpose is rendering everyday, get an FX 8 or 6core and a good cpu cooler.
Another cheap option would be to look for a used i7 2600K.

If you will be gaming half of the time, and only do video editing once in awhile, better get an i5 3570K or 4670K.
They run cooler, and have better IPC for games with poor multi-threading.
i have a x4 945 quad core and yea maybe but its hard to find old stuff for cheap in austratia and i may just save up nad get a 8320

·
Iconoclast
30,983 Posts
Quote:

GA-970A-UD3
I used to have one of these before I replaced it with a Sabretooth. VRM is pretty anemic on the 970A-UD3, so you'll have to be careful when OCing higher power parts.
Quote:

or if i can would a amd phenom ii x6 1055t for video editingbe good as well ?
Not as good as the FX-8320.

·
I've no idea what I'm doi
2,240 Posts
Skip the 8120 and 6100, look for the 6300 and 8320.
CUDA helps a lot in Vegas, I was getting a 9 minute render time and it was sharply increasing, added CUDA and it rendered in 9 minutes total.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAS1000 View Post

Skip the 8120 and 6100, look for the 6300 and 8320.
CUDA helps a lot in Vegas, I was getting a 9 minute render time and it was sharply increasing, added CUDA and it rendered in 9 minutes total.
im getting a fx 6300 would that be good ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts