Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

The engineering department at my university just cleared me to do a computer-related project next term for my freshman research project. I told my professor my background with building computers, overclocking them, etc. and how I'd like to do something related for a project. In the next 5 minutes we were talking about how the chemistry and physics departments have virtually unlimited amounts of LN2 that they would be quite happy to give to me for the term for subzero cooling. Specifically, the project is to make a temperature-controlled LN2 delivery system--if the probe reads above a predetermined threshold, more LN2 gets added to the system. The problem? I don't have a CPU pot, mounting kit, or insulation. The university can supply everything else--dewars, the whole shibang (because they already have all that stuff). They aren't allowed to give me any of the budget to go out purchasing stuff because it goes above their cost per project (there are hundreds of other freshmen design projects)...so here's where I'm asking for your help. Is it at all possible to borrow a CPU pot, mounting kit, and insulation material for the next 12 weeks (775, please)? I would obviously replace anything that became damaged if anything were to happen, and I'll ship it all back when the term is done. My school is in Philadelphia, PA, if you're wondering about shipping.

Thank you all for reading, and please post/PM if you think you can help out!

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you wrote to a couple online sites, and review sites, I am sure someone would donate some eval stuff to you. As long as you mention them in your Bibliography.

I had luck in the past with HardOCP. They gave me parts to do a project which were Intel Eval stuff.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, but I'm not currently a member of HardOCP...and I don't have a contact with any reviewers. As nice as it would be, the world doesn't usually just hand stuff to unproven newcomers, and I can't imagine I'd have any luck going outside of this forum, where I'm an established member. I figured this would be the place to ask because of the pursuit of performance, no matter the method. I know there are dozens of members here who do dice/LN2 runs, and given the friendly attitude of the forum, this place is the most likely that I know of who would be willing to help me out.

So, sub-zero coolers: if you're not planning on doing any runs for a few months or could otherwise spare a pot, 775 mounting kit, and insulation, I would greatly appreciate it if you'd check out my OP and see if there's anything you can do. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey man sorry for the delay I've been running around trying to get this off the ground. Yeah if you could send me the designs you came up with I'll take them over to the machine shop (I go to an engineering school, they should be able to whip one up in no time). From what I understand, the shaft can be either Al or Cu, but the base/cap should be Cu? Also, what should I do about a mounting kit and insulation? Thanks for everything!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LN2, correct. It'll be a C2Q. I think I actually figured out how to jerry-rig one out of a copper pipe cap. The base is pretty much exactly the right size, and it won't be that difficult to lap it. Thanks for the help though. Now I've got to figure out how I can mount it, but it's better than not having anything.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
3,359 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grmnasasin0227 View Post
LN2, correct. It'll be a C2Q. I think I actually figured out how to jerry-rig one out of a copper pipe cap. The base is pretty much exactly the right size, and it won't be that difficult to lap it. Thanks for the help though. Now I've got to figure out how I can mount it, but it's better than not having anything.
How thick would that copper cap be?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just one of these guys. They don't look to be flimsy or anything...after all it's a pipe cap. Pots don't need to be ridiculously thick for some reason, right?

·
Registered
953 Posts
but the thicker the base or the more mass the longer it will hold the temp cause ur cpu is trying to heat alot more mass

u can get a big pipe cap and in the center braze in a short pice of small diamiter tube then another pice that slightly bigger then the first and so on so the inside of the cap has 3-4 tubes inside it one around the other and the tubes have 1/8- 1/4 spaceing between them

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me put it this way: I have an infinite amount of LN2 at my disposal a la the chemistry department, and my project revolves around an automatic delivery system where we don't even have to physically add it...we're making a machine that will do it for us. I just need something copper that can hold liquid, and this fits the bill.

·
Registered
809 Posts
^ The ln2 isnt the problem with a thing pot like that.

You will have to rely on the LN2 to carry a load wich is really bad.

Your bench session will go like this:
Boot up at -110c.
Windows starts loading and it loads your cpu up to -70c so you add ln2 to compensate.
You get in windows and you immidiatly crash because it is so cold because of all the ln2 you had to add when windows started loading.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
3,359 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverShocked
View Post

Boot up at -110c.
Windows starts loading and it loads your cpu up to -70c so you add ln2 to compensate.
You get in windows and you immidiatly crash because it is so cold because of all the ln2 you had to add when windows started loading.

What temps do the Q9550's CB at?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverShocked View Post

Boot up at -110c.
Then at what temperature are you supposed to add LN2? We can make the threshold whatever we need it to be.

·
Registered
308 Posts
it will depend on the CPU, generally speaking if your CPU coldbugs at 110c then you will want to keep it as close to that as you can without hitting the CB

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would you happen to know where a Q9550 E0 cold bugs then? A google search yielded nothing interesting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts