Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam upgrading my bosses computer and he currently has a intel 2160 i modded it to run 2.4 ghz he has 2 gig ddr2 and a 8800gt video card. It just wont handel bf3 well. It meets all the min requirements but i think on 64 player maps it will fail. He is on a limited budget. I want to replace the cpu and motherboard now and in a month or so do the video card. I believe the biggest bottleneck is the cpu after seeing some people getting 35-40 fps in the beta on a 8800gt. Will a amd x4 640 or a 840 be good to pair with a 6850/70 in a couple months. Keep in mind there will be no O.C. on this hardware. I need somthing to handle med to high settings on 1400x900 res monitor. Thanks for the help in advance. And my budget for the cpu and motherboard is about 100 dollars so iam buying used. I have 2x2 gig ddr3 1333 memory already.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ahahah your boss wants to play bf3. I just find that funny.

*You're working hard while he's in his office pwning noobs*

The 6950 is a great card. Mine ran the bf3 beta maxed at 1080p and my GPU throttled at an avg of 45fps... I'm getting a second one:)

It will surely handle med/high with a decent processor. What's the budget?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the posts but i need advice on processor one better than a intel 2160 dual core. The first thing iam upgrading is the cpu and motherboard because i think we can get a little more out of the 8800gt and we are on a budget. Iam looking for a processor and a mother board for about 100 dollars or so.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you consider about low budget but want some gaming performance, Pentium G860 or Core i3 2100 might work for your boss. For the motherboard, any cheap H61 board is okay. ASRock and ECS low end board might be a good solution. You can't overclock Non-K Sandy Bridge after all.

I won't recommend any AMD Processor this year because they lack of gaming power (although they are still acceptable in Multi Core Application).

For Graphic Card, you need something that perform not far from Radeon HD 5870 for comfortable gaming experience (especially for BF3). GeForce GTX 560 or 560 Ti, Radeon HD 6870 or Radeon HD 6950 might be a good choice. But that might be a story for another chapter.

Oh yeah, I just wonder why your boss only want to spent $100 for CPU? You can't expect much from $100 CPU. Especially to handle demanding games like Battlefield 3.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bima thanks for the response but my budget is tight and were looking to play bf3 which will take advantage of multi-cores my current sig rig runs the game fine at high settings with avg 55 fps. This computer will never have multi-gpus and is playing on a 1400x900 res. The budget is low because hes trying to hide from the wife. And according to amandtech site even the amd 255 regor x2 is faster than his current processor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts