Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm not sure if this is where I should be posting this but wasn't sure where else it would be best to ask.

So on to my question! Do I need a decent sound card on my PC to connect an Audio Interface to? Or better yet, if anyone knows, what would be the best way to connect an audio interface to my PC? I wouldnt mind buying a USB one but I would really preffer something higher quality. I read online I could use a red/white RCA to 3.5mm cable by simply connecting one end to the audio out(tape out) and the other into the Mic Jack on my PC, is this true?

Any advice on this would be really appreciated!
smile.gif


Edit: My mom got some Dell Credit off work and gave it to me, would any of these make decent sound cards? Also how do I go about knowing if they have a Line In to hook up a mixter to?

Asus Xonar DX : http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A1762784&baynote_bnrank=4&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

Creative Sound Blaster X-fi fatality pro : http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A1767954&baynote_bnrank=6&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

Creative Sound Blaster x-fi : http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A2958651&baynote_bnrank=12&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

I hear some bad stuff from Creative lately but if it does what I need I don't mind. Or if someone knows of a better card I could get threw Dell that would be good too.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
79,142 Posts
We aren't allowed to verbally offer Rep+ to each other for any reason.
redface.gif
It's one of those things that goes without saying.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
79,142 Posts
It's been a while since I've recorded myself playing drums (which I did a couple of times for fun), but I used this setup and I really like the results:

Mics: M-AUDIO Pulsar II Matched Pair as overheads, and a Shure Beta 52 right out in front of the bass drum.

Mixer: Peavey PV8

Sound card: X-Fi XtremeGamer (the one that looks like it's low-profile)

I used a cable that had the RCA plugs on one end (the red/white ends), and a 1/8" Stereo Mini Plug on the other. So I plugged the RCA end into the Tape Out on the mixer, and the 1/8" Stereo Mini Plug into the "Line In" on my sound card. I used Sony SoundForge 7.0 that I got a long time ago as my recording software.

At one time, I recorded into an Audigy 2 ZS and I thought that I liked the results. However, I got noticeably better results with the XtremeGamer: I got deeper lows, and clearer and higher highs. It just had a higher quality of sound.

So if you have a "Line In" to use, then that's what I recommend using. However, the Mic input may work too - but it could be easy to overdrive it which would end up with unwanted distortion.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: ArtistDeAlec

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ohh wow! Thanks for all the info. So If I simply buy a mixer like the one you listed I will be able to plug in my bass,guitar, and mic's correct? I'm very new to all this recording stuff and having my dad try and explain it to me over the phone just confuses me lol. Also thanks for the drum set up, gave me a pretty good picture on how to set it up.

Programs I currently have are : FL Studios 9, Cubase 5, and Virtual Dj Pro. Although Cubase 5 is what I will primarily use to record unless I can get Pro Tools off my dad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
audigy 2zs has all the analog and digital audio i/o you need plus midi i/o
and the rca input is the cleanest i have found on computer audio so far!

To be honest its probably the best hobby soundcard for recording,
after that you start watching the price rise and the features drop.

Cubase 5 doesnt seem as good as cubase 3,i spent best part of
10 years messing with cubase 3 then i was bought 5 and i just cant get to grips with it!
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
79,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistDeAlec;13033557
Ohh wow! Thanks for all the info. So If I simply buy a mixer like the one you listed I will be able to plug in my bass,guitar, and mic's correct? I'm very new to all this recording stuff and having my dad try and explain it to me over the phone just confuses me lol. Also thanks for the drum set up, gave me a pretty good picture on how to set it up.

Programs I currently have are : FL Studios 9, Cubase 5, and Virtual Dj Pro. Although Cubase 5 is what I will primarily use to record unless I can get Pro Tools off my dad.
Definitely! Plus, you'll have separate EQ control for each channel (guitar, bass, and each mic).
smile.gif


As for the software: well damn, it sounds like you got me beat! I don't know much about what's available for recording software, but that still sounds impressive to me.

Anyway, you could even go with the PV8 if you don't need any more than four XLR inputs for mics. However if your budget is too tight for it, then even Behringer's Xenox 1202FX or Xenox 1204FX would be just fine too!

I used to have a Behringer UB1202 (the predecessor to the Xenox series), and its build quality is noticeably inferior to the Peavey PV8, but I think they're otherwise fairly similar. I liked the UB1202, except I had to sell it in order to get some cash in a hurry.
frown.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMission;13033594
audigy 2zs has all the analog and digital audio i/o you need plus midi i/o
and the rca input is the cleanest i have found on computer audio so far!

To be honest its probably the best hobby soundcard for recording,
after that you start watching the price rise and the features drop.

Cubase 5 doesnt seem as good as cubase 3,i spent best part of
10 years messing with cubase 3 then i was bought 5 and i just cant get to grips with it!
Features aside, I still have superior recording quality from the XtremeGamer.
tongue.gif
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: ArtistDeAlec

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cubase 5 does seem to be pretty confusing but it's one of the only decent programs I got on hand. I hear you can use Pro Tools with your own hardware now which is why I'm considering use it, I tried some of their M-Audio stuff and simply didn't like it/get it to work properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't want to spend too much on something at the moment, just something that will last me till november. I plan to snag some of my dads gear once I go back for break haha, that XENYX 1202FX seems pretty nice! Might go with that.

Sorry to hear about your UB1202
frown.gif
Are you still into recording and such? Or did it slow down for you now?
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
79,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistDeAlec;13033656
I don't want to spend too much on something at the moment, just something that will last me till november. I plan to snag some of my dads gear once I go back for break haha, that XENYX 1202FX seems pretty nice! Might go with that.

Sorry to hear about your UB1202
frown.gif
Are you still into recording and such? Or did it slow down for you now?
I was only recording for fun.
smile.gif
I mean, I didn't make any demos or anything; I did it just to get my kicks. hehe

Fortunately, I had a time where I was working full time making over $10 per hour, living at home with my parents, and I had almost no bills. So that Peavey PV8 was mine.
biggrin.gif
Plus, that's when I bought those M-AUDIO mics. I'm happy with both!!

However, this Peavey mixer is overkill for the kind of recording I like doing once in a blue moon.
smile.gif
A part of the reason why I would record is to have something I can listen to later for self-critique, so even a relatively generic mixer would do me just fine (that is, something that's not even as good as Behringer's Xenox mixers). Although, I think the main reason is just to have something fun to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Features aside, I still have superior recording quality from the XtremeGamer.
tongue.gif
[/QUOTE]
smile.gif

superior to?proof?
in all fairness most dedicated soundcards will offer improvements,but when it comes down to latency,
(which is paramount in music messings)
try 5ms response on your setup and see how much you can load up the vst's/vsti's before it dies from crackling.
how could you get lower lows/higher highs?jack input?some change in your setup?
i mean,result and everything but how?
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
79,142 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by MightyMission
View Post

superior to?proof?
in all fairness most dedicated soundcards will offer improvements,but when it comes down to latency,
(which is paramount in music messings)
try 5ms response on your setup and see how much you can load up the vst's/vsti's before it dies from crackling.

Superior to the Audigy 2 ZS. My proof is my opinion just as your proof would be your opinion.

When I had the Audigy 2 ZS, the quality was not bad; I liked it. When I got the XtremeGamer, I heard deeper and stronger lows from my recordings, and clearer and cleaner highs. I was honestly surprised because I thought it would be a downgrade in this regard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
mm no dont get me wrong i will never be a fanboy of anything,i like to search out the best aswell as value for money.

I could recommend high end cards but whats the point in this context...

I sold my motu cards when i sold the studio to a friend who had the time to utilise it fully.those were properly killer soundcards! Completely different to the needs of hobby users though.like buying a nissan skyline to get around londons traffic.

I was merely asking for some kind of definitive answer with the xtreme gamer as these things are so cheap now it cant hurt to have a look and see if there is any tangible benefit.

did you try using the rca loop on the audigy breakout box?this does add alot of extra bandwidth so would of course give the perception of extended bottom/tops.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
79,142 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by MightyMission
View Post

mm no dont get me wrong i will never be a fanboy of anything,i like to search out the best aswell as value for money.

I could recommend high end cards but whats the point in this context...

I sold my motu cards when i sold the studio to a friend who had the time to utilise it fully.those were properly killer soundcards! Completely different to the needs of hobby users though.like buying a nissan skyline to get around londons traffic.

I was merely asking for some kind of definitive answer with the xtreme gamer as these things are so cheap now it cant hurt to have a look and see if there is any tangible benefit.

did you try using the rca loop on the audigy breakout box?this does add alot of extra bandwidth so would of course give the perception of extended bottom/tops.

No, I didn't have the breakout box because I had the Audigy 2 ZS.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
79,142 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by MightyMission
View Post

thats what i got ?!?
ahh right ok i thought the platinum pro tag on the end of mine was just for increased sales.maybe there is some difference after all.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dts-7,691-3.html
thats my one,kind of immaterial really but i am intrigued.

No, you have the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro. The "Audigy 2 ZS" is just the card. The "Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro" is almost the same card, but it includes those extras.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
79,142 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ArtistDeAlec
View Post

Hello all, I'm not sure if this is where I should be posting this but wasn't sure where else it would be best to ask.

So on to my question! Do I need a decent sound card on my PC to connect an Audio Interface to? Or better yet, if anyone knows, what would be the best way to connect an audio interface to my PC? I wouldnt mind buying a USB one but I would really preffer something higher quality. I read online I could use a red/white RCA to 3.5mm cable by simply connecting one end to the audio out(tape out) and the other into the Mic Jack on my PC, is this true?

Any advice on this would be really appreciated!


Edit: My mom got some Dell Credit off work and gave it to me, would any of these make decent sound cards? Also how do I go about knowing if they have a Line In to hook up a mixter to?

Asus Xonar DX : http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A1762784&ba ynote_bnrank=4&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

Creative Sound Blaster X-fi fatality pro : http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A1767954&ba ynote_bnrank=6&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

Creative Sound Blaster x-fi : http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A2958651&ba ynote_bnrank=12&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

I hear some bad stuff from Creative lately but if it does what I need I don't mind. Or if someone knows of a better card I could get threw Dell that would be good too.

According to the "Tech Specs" tab, all 3 of these have Line-In jacks.

If it were me, then I would go with either the X-Fi Titanium (the 3rd one), or the Xonar DX. The Titanium Fatal1ty Pro is more or less a waste of money.

Whatever you do, don't get the X-Fi "Xtreme Audio".
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
79,142 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by MightyMission
View Post

it would be worthwhile checking the best possible latencies on all recommended products because this will be the downfall of any of them in DAW programs.

For the kind of recording he's doing, I imagine that even my little setup would be overkill.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top