Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this article interesting. I've seen a lot of people talking about upgrading to these.

From an upgrade stand point seems like it's not the best idea. There we not great performance increases with exception to ram but we can do that any way now.

If you are buying new it's something to consider but I still believe the old processors to be a better investment if they are cheaper.

These are just my opinions form this review and I wanted to share it with everyone.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
But the thing is, that review didn't cover overclocking, which is where the 6*50's really ice the older processors (link),.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kai- View Post
But the thing is, that review didn't cover overclocking, which is where the 6*50's really ice the older processors (link),.
Well it doesn't make much sense to me. Why drop the multiplier for a higher stock FSB? I think most any C2D will go up to 500FSB with the right cooling. Why buy an E6750 with a multi of 8 when you could just get the E6700 with a multi of 10?

I don't see the heightened overclocking potential here, or am I missing something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Silviastud
View Post

Well it doesn't make much sense to me. Why drop the multiplier for a higher stock FSB? I think most any C2D will go up to 500FSB with the right cooling. Why buy an E6750 with a multi of 8 when you could just get the E6700 with a multi of 10?

I don't see the heightened overclocking potential here, or am I missing something?

Well, early reports are showing the E6750's are topping out higher than the E6700. Second, the new steppings draw slightly less power (IIRC) so you get less heat, which further helps your OC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silviastud View Post
Well it doesn't make much sense to me. Why drop the multiplier for a higher stock FSB? I think most any C2D will go up to 500FSB with the right cooling. Why buy an E6750 with a multi of 8 when you could just get the E6700 with a multi of 10?

I don't see the heightened overclocking potential here, or am I missing something?
Wouldn't E6750 be faster than the E6700 if both would be running on same MHz?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by weltall View Post
Wouldn't E6750 be faster than the E6700 if both would be running on same MHz?
Yes it would be slightly faster if at the same mhz and stock multiplier. But if the E6700 multi is dropped down so they are both the same, they will be running at the same FSB and there won't be any performance difference
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by pheoxs
View Post

Yes it would be slightly faster if at the same mhz and stock multiplier. But if the E6700 multi is dropped down so they are both the same, they will be running at the same FSB and there won't be any performance difference

In other words these two are the same and the difference is the stepping?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,053 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by tankguys
View Post

Well, early reports are showing the E6750's are topping out higher than the E6700. Second, the new steppings draw slightly less power (IIRC) so you get less heat, which further helps your OC.

This is the good thing about the E6750 and the only thing that people should upgrade for. It's one thing to get a good week in the E6600 E6700 series Core 2's, it's another to know that ALL E6750's will require less voltages and produce better, more efficient OCs on Air; a good week will be the icing on an already overtly iced cake.

Same deal with the Quads, I'd suspect.

On the larger end of the spectrum: The OC's on Phase are going to really tell us the difference between B3 and G0. Here, we'll see people on Water and Phase hitting 4ghz + without breaking a sweat, and I suspect some 5ghz club members arriving on both Quad and Dual platforms.

Something to consider would be that all of these great OC's are on P35 Chipsets... so you're better off saving and upgrading both your motherboard and your cpu to maximize your returns. And, P35 Doesn't mean DDR3, as most of the boards retailing now are DDR2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,820 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by weltall
View Post

In other words these two are the same and the difference is the stepping?

No, it is slightly different, its a new stepping, but also generates less heat overall which will mean better overclocking. And at stock speeds it will outperform its E6700 counterpart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,983 Posts
Eh, IMO if you already own an E6x00 series chip there isn't much sense upgrading to a E6x50.

Now the Q6600 is a totally different story as it retains the 1066 bus.

Why would you spend $200-$300 for a couple hundred exta mhz at most. I know we OCN members are hardcore but that money would be better spent on better cooling.

My next upgrades will be an X38 and likely a Q6600.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top